Got new cage... It's crooked >.<

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

So I bought a second CN for my other chin... and it's super crooked. I can't even finish putting it together. :/

I don't know what to do now. :/ I'm trying to bend everything into place, but the door latches are so lose that the top peg isn't even in the hole!

I would call or email the manufacture and tell them about the problem. They should have you send it back at their expense or maybe send you some new parts if that works.

Midwest is closed right now so I'll have to wait until tomorrow, but I sent something to them in Support, so hopefully they can help. :/

The place I ordered it from also got a message from me, so maybe they can help me also.

Would tying it off with fleece work for now?

Edit: Now one of the little squares broke off! >.<

Last edited:
Okay so...

I contacted them and they said they will give me a partial refund or I can return the item. I already put it together and he's in the bottom half of it because the top door is even worse...

I contacted midwest and they said to talk to the people I got it from and have them file a damaged freight claim and send replacements.... However... The company said they can't send me any replacements :'(

I have no idea what to do. I've never had to return anything so I don't know what I'm doing >.<

I haven't had issues with a cage yet, thank goodness, but I have had to deal with other situations like this.
I would take pictures of how messed up it all is-the company may deal with lots of exaggeration and thinks it's just a bar or two bent up. Complain and be forceful, explain how you're paying a lot of money and expect a cage in new, functioning condition. The company you bought the cage from probably is thinking partial refund if it's still usable (like the bottom part is funtional and it's just a few bent wires on top-give $50 bucks back and maybe they'll stop complaining), or that you can return if it isnt functional and buy another. Try to ask if they can send a replacement and you'll send this one back? (and try to get them to cover all shipping too)
Let Midwest know how the other company is handling it as well- they don't want to get a bad rep with you because the middle man isn't handling customer service right, so they may work with you more-it seems like they'd rather the company dealt with it first.
i also would try to keep your chin in his old cage until you've got everything dealt with (and him and his stuff out of any pictures). The company may be fussy with you about how it was ok to have your pet in for a short time and wont like giving refund/replacements after that. Plus if parts really aren't fitting together right I'd worry about stability or it falling apart with my chin inside.

good luck, and maybe stock up on headache medicine in anticipation of dealing with them.

Whatever happens, the company shouldn't get away with selling a broken cage. If it's a shipping problem they should have means to deal with that. If it's a manufacturer issue, it should be replaced and the company can take the broken cage to Midwest and have it taken care of. If people are being really bullheaded I would even make a veiled threat about letting people know how horrible they were to deal with on here-if they know their reputation in a community is at risk they may help you out more.

Okay so Midwest got back to me again. They asked for a receipt and photos of the doors. I'm taking that as a good sign :D

I made sure to be careful with the photos I took. What sucks is that I actually put that other cage in the attic >_< So I don't know what I'm going to do if they want me to send the pieces first. :'(

The company that I ordered from keeps repeating themselves(partial refund or they can send a whole new cage). I'd opt for the cage but I don't want to chance that one being even worse than this one. :/

Very simple problem to deal with. Document all damage, email and call both companies with information. Did you use Paypal or a CC to purchase the cage? Ebay? If you used any of these companies also let them know that your item was defective and not as described.

Be matter of fact, state exactly what is wrong along with the photos you took. Be prepared to pay return shipping and to ship the cage back, which means save all packaging that the cage was shipped in.

What carrier was the cage shipped with? UPS / Fedex come with insurance up to a certain dollar amount, most reputable companies will insure just for this type of situation. USPS does not require insurance , can be purchased, if the company used this shipping carrier and did not purchase insurance, your claim / wanting a refund is going to be much more difficult.

Thanks for the post.

Midwest said that the company I got it from has to handle it... and they won't do much of anything. :/

I'm not sure who shipped it and I don't think the shipping damaged it.... I think it was sent out that way. :/

I have had replacement pieces sent to me from Midwest for a cage ordered through Dr. Foster n Smith..... Yes I took pics of the areas that were bad. In the end though I GOT the replacements... Maybe try calling again hoping to get a different representative. I have always had good luck with them being helpful. Tell them just what they need to know and act like it is your first time calling. Not sure how they document calls but they may see you have called before. Nevertheless, it came damaged. End of story. Even though it may have been sent damaged they are more likely to take care of you if they can file an insurance claim through UPS...so if that is what it takes for them to fix it for you let them think that.

I emailed them when I contacted them, sent them the pictures once they asked, only for them to tell me that since I went through ebay, the company I bought from would be responsible for replacing them.

I actually convinced the company I bought from to give me a full refund and let me send it back... However I'm having issues with the car and I want to deal with that first before I go and get another cage. I need another cage ready before I send this one back, so I planned on telling them I must go on a vacation and I will work on sending it back once I get back... That way I have more time to play with Lol.

The company I bought from was a wholesale company, they didn't really carry any other cages but one, and that one was more busted than this one. I knew it was damaged when I bought it, but not to this extent. I was actually going to order from Dr. FnS since I found they were selling it for about $190. I even asked them about their return policy just to be safe Lol.

With Ebay you also have their buyer protection... there is a time limit however. Double check with their terms/conditions but I believe off the top of my head that you have 45 days from the date of the transaction.... Glad to hear they are being cooperative...

Back