Goodnight, Jack

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lirana

We had to take my bf's rat, Jack, into the vet today. I got home from grocery shopping and noticed that she was super lethargic and could barely walk. Sunday's are cage cleaning days, and she was perfectly fine (to our eyes) yesterday. She passed away while we were at the vet. We were literally deciding whether or not to put her to sleep or to take her home when she died. :(

Rats are more difficult to take pictures of than chinchillas. So, here's a pic of here from the day we got her in August, 2011. RIP Jack.

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 139
I'm so sorry you and your boyfriend lost your girl. She was pretty. Any idea what caused her to pass? May she rest in peace.

I'm so sorry you and your boyfriend lost your girl. She was pretty. Any idea what caused her to pass? May she rest in peace.

After she passed, the vet noticed a hardness in her tummy, so the vet thinks she may have had a stomach tumor. Rats can be very cancer prone. Her cagemate seems perfectly healthy, so hopefully it was actually cancer and not some disease that the other rats will contract. She was dehydrated when we got to the vet. But I definitely saw her drinking on Sunday. I guess with an animal that small, just a few hours of not drinking can take a serious toll.

Thanks for all of the condolences everyone. Her death has been particularly hard because she seemed so healthy and normal the day before she died. She was always the most rambunctious rat, and it's like she went from 100 to 0 in no time at all. :(

I love rats! Their lifespan is the only downside to owning them. I've had to put some to sleep because of tumors. I just tell myself that they had an awesome life of being spoiled while they were here, that's the best thing we can offer. Sorry for your loss!

Im sorry to hear this, I must be a big wimp Because just reading about others chins or pets dying makes me tear up and I feel so sad, god forbid when my little gus's time comes I will lose it. But Hang in there and be strong hes In heaven at peace now

Back