Good treats?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna_chin

I've been wondering what kind of fresh fruits I could give my little girl!
Or even veggies. Does anyone have any in mind?

Also, why are yogurt drops bad for chinchillas?

Chins should not get fruits or veggies. They are too high in sugar content and can cause bloat and gastric upset. Some people say certain dried fruits are ok in moderation but that does not take out the sugar content and I have heard too many stories of chins bloating from just one small treat, so I do not recommend it.

Yogurt drops are bad for chins because they are loaded with sugar and chins can not digest dairy.

Healthy treats in moderation (1-2 a day, a few times a week) are unfrosted cherrios, unfrosted shredded wheat, rose hips, old fashioned oats. Various vendors on here also make up their own 'healthy' chin treats.

Chins should not get fruits or veggies. They are too high in sugar content and can cause bloat and gastric upset. Some people say certain dried fruits are ok in moderation but that does not take out the sugar content and I have heard too many stories of chins bloating from just one small treat, so I do not recommend it.

Yogurt drops are bad for chins because they are loaded with sugar and chins can not digest dairy.

Healthy treats in moderation (1-2 a day, a few times a week) are unfrosted cherrios, unfrosted shredded wheat, rose hips, old fashioned oats. Various vendors on here also make up their own 'healthy' chin treats.

Alrighty thank you! That really helped me out a lot!

I go with rose hips, whole or crushed and sifted. They can't OD on them and they love them! Plus they're inexpensive. Keep it simple and remember that treats are often more for the owners than the chins benefit anyways ;)

Also keep in mind that chins think hay tastes fantastic, so something that might be plain to you, like a wheatie, is divine to them. They can also really love the bark of some trees, mine really love apple twigs that I get form one of the members on here. (store ones they dont seem to like as much)

I think a plain shredded wheat, rosehips or a cheerio is a nice treat to be given once a week or so. Here's the thing to keep in mind: treats are more for you than for the chins. The chins can get along just fine without them.

That being said, I use apple wood twigs as treats for my little guys. They get one every time they interact with us, so we are encouraging them to do so by giving them something they really like! Apple sticks are not at all a "treat" but rather a wood any chin owner would recommend giving a chin, but our chins love them so much they are treats to them.

Yes, I would not consider an apple stick a treat, but they do. So why fight it? When they are good they get something they like and something that they can have an unlimited amount of. This has really helped our bonding process without making them unhealthy :)

Hope this helps and I hope you find some good "treats" for your little Luna.

Latest posts

Back