good question ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefscott

Okay this just came to me , I am picking up my new liitle chinchilla from someone who rescues chinchillas and breeds them on this sunday morning, he just got weened off his mom on monday, and I am bringing him home to meet gus my male chinchilla who I have had for over a year now and I love him like a child, now my question is since the new guy is basically a baby and gus an adult, do I still have to quaratine them in separate room and separate cages? Or wouldnt an adult chin instinctively protect another baby chinchilla knowing already he has dominance for the baby, or does age not matter in introductions? Thanks for all and everyones help

You would need to quarantine them in different rooms--quarantine is so you can make sure that any potential diseases do not pass from your new chinchilla to Gus. Also there is no guarantee that the new guy being a baby will ensure a smooth introduction--you definitely need to have an extra (and baby-proof) cage for your new chin.

Yes quarantine has nothing to do with them getting along, protection or dominance. That is so the baby doesn't bring illness to your current chin or vice versa.

No guarantee they will get along just because the new one is a baby. You will need separate cages as a back up and need to be very vigilant during intros so the adult does not bully or harm the baby or vice versa.

okay thanks for all your time and answers, Im very nervous and still very excited I just want this to work and for them to get along so they can be best friends for a long time, I wonder do chinchillas get jealous Iwas thinking about this earlier that if gus sees me holding the new baby chin will he become jealous I hope not but this is gonna be true learning expierience for me and gus and the new little guy, wish me and them luck, this sunday is the big day

I don't know that they would be jealous of holding, but mine definitely get jealous if one gets a treat or over the food bowl. Sometimes you need 2 of everything, just so they don't squable over food/water. Also, i make sure the dominate chin gets the treat first or she can take it out on the more passive cage mate (or try to steal it even tho i have one for her too)

I wonder do chinchillas get jealous

Yes they can.

My one cage has three girls. Mother and two daughters. None of them really like being petted or scratched much. They generally stay away from it. But once in a while they will allow it.
And while the girls may not want anything to do with me atm, if one girl starts getting petted, the other two will race over and try to but in on her scratching. Its kinda amusing to watch lol. They get quite jealous of each others attention.

okay thanks for all your time and answers, Im very nervous and still very excited I just want this to work and for them to get along so they can be best friends for a long time, I wonder do chinchillas get jealous Iwas thinking about this earlier that if gus sees me holding the new baby chin will he become jealous I hope not but this is gonna be true learning expierience for me and gus and the new little guy, wish me and them luck, this sunday is the big day

So, quarantine means no contact, separate rooms and you washing your hands and changing clothing between your interactions with the two animals for 30 days. Why changing clothes? If your new chin has ringworm per say, it can get on your clothing and spores will travel right over to your current chin. So there should be nothing for him to be jealous of at least initially.

separation is necessary, especially if Gus is a male chinchilla (which i assume he is)

separation is necessary, especially if Gus is a male chinchilla (which i assume he is)

Quarantine has nothing to do with the new incoming chinchilla being male or female. It's simply about protecting the chinchillas from exposure to any possible illness the new comer might bring to the existing chinchilla and vice versa.

Now lirana asked the good question, why do males need separation and also what is the percentage of new male additions to another male of them actually getting along and loving each other ??

Being a male has nothing to do with seporating. As for them getting along there is no majic number. Some do get along, others won't, and some do for a while.

Latest posts

Back