Good place to buy FN cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avecat6906

OK So I have seen all these fancy FN cages all over the site. I'm pretty sure Fonzie is staring at the computer like "Why can't I have a fancy cage like that, Mom!?" I'm going to have to wait until summertime to buy one, but I wanted to know what is a good place or website with reasonable shipping for me to look for one. I've done some searches but only get places like Amazon. There's a pet store by me who sells them but it's $300 for a simple two level cage and they just seems a little crazy since I've seen the same cage on Amazon for $200.

Attached is a picture of Fonzie's current cage. (Since that picture, the cage has been put up higher on wheels so he's not so close to the ground. My friend gave me the cage and she forgot about the wheels until later in the day.) He seems happy enough .. but it's so bare! .. I'm getting another chinchilla on Tuesday so once (and if) they get along, the cage is being completely redecorated with wooden ledges and new toys and hopefully a chin spin. The way these ledges fit in I don't have room for much of the cool stuff :( I also don't like the bowl-like bottom as it makes fitting a fleece bottom almost impossible. Ugh! And the doors are so small and I can barely get my hands in there to clean.

So If anybody knows anybody reasonable, please let me know! Thanks soo much :))

Attachments

• fonzies cage 001.jpg
    fonzies cage 001.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
the closest Petsmart to you is in Woodbridge, eh? i've read that Petsmart will price match for online prices elsewhere (Amazon, etc) if you talk to them 'just right'. maybe convince a 'deal talking' friend or relative to come with you to do the wheeling and dealing? there's at least one or two threads on here about the best deal elsewhere that people have taken to petsmart and gotten that price. try a search on 'price matching' and you should be able to find those threads.

and Petsmart's advertised price on their website for a FN 142 (the two level model) is only 229.99, so that's really not too bad. here: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752837

i hear ya on the small doors! Rhino's Superpet brand cage can be a real pain in the tookus when sweeping shelves when i have to get most of my arm in there to reach the back, then crane my wrist around to get the whole shelves clean. ugh.

You can also check on Craigslist. I took the flyer to Petsmart and they matched the price from a flyer I got on CnH that was from KennelVet that someone posted. I got 3 at $163.85 each! Really cheap and so easy to clean!:)

I have found the best deals on amazon (price really varies) and ferret.com. Ferret.com currently has the ferret nation 142 on sale for $179. I was able to pricematch at Petsmart and avoided paying shipping. I would call your local Petsmart and ask about price matching. Be super nice though as it seems every Petsmart has their own policy on pricematching!! I was told that the one by me isn't supposed to price match online stores but he said he'd "do it for me". Good luck!! They are awesome cages!!!!

I bought mine on Amazon and I am glad I did, they have free shipping and that box is HEAVY. I had a hard time just moving it from the the front porch to inside the front door by myself.

I didn't even think to check PetSmart.com lol! I just know that my PetSmart in Woodbridge, 2 minutes from my house doesn't sell them in the store. So I would not be able to price match there. I could always ask the other pet store and see what they say. I'm a little skeptical about using CraigsList .. just seems sketchy to me lol. Will have to do some more searching on Amazon and ferret.com.

Thanks so much everybody! :hug2:

if the petsmart store does not have an item in, you can ask for them to get it in for you. if it's on their site, it should also be available in store. at least my petsmart will get something in for me if i see it on their site (which is the States version, not Canadian), and i asked specifically about the FN, because they've only had one in store once, and said they'd get one in if i wanted one.

I've used craigslist....I paid $50 for one FN142 and $75 for my second one. I'm in the process of wheeling and dealing to get a third one for less then $100 but the guy isn't budging so I'm proably getting this one for $100. All are used but I ask TONS of questions, ask for pictures and info if the cage looks to be in good condition and all the parts are there then I take someone along with me to go pick it up! It is definatly worth a look if you don't mind used items....although you would never be able to tell they are used cages!!!!:thumbsup:

i have gotten a few FN's on craigslist. i actually have met someone at that Mall for a chinchilla exchange! lol

if you have the time i would search around for one. if you dont have the time but have the money, i would go for the ferret.com deal.

the cage that you currently have is a decent size but if it isnt easy to use the doors than that is decision you need to make. you could just add wooden shevles, take out those ramps, etc and there is plenty of room for 1 chin.

i would. if you are planning on getting a 2nd chin, than let fonzie use 1 section of the FN to start and if you are able to bond the two they can have run of the 2 sections but if not than each one would get their own section.
the thing about the FN's compared to the cage you have is that the FN is more wide than it is tall so it would be a little different for fonzie. the doors open super wide so you would have NO problems cleaning or whatever.

i have 4 FN 142's and never had a problem with them (well until this weekend my one cage cracked under the pressure of a wheel). they are easy to clean & decorate and have ample space for 1 or more chins.

my college sorority sister was from colonia so knowing where you live you are close to a lot of major towns........if you cant find the FN @ woodbridge, i am sure there is another store not too far.

I got my second FN from Amazon. Every once in a while, they have deals for $150 something with free shipping. It is the best deal I can find for a new one. I bought my first FN from an online pet supply and ended up paying $200 with shipping. Just keep checking Amazon and you will find that sale comes up every few months.

Don't be afraid of the craigs list cages.

Just inspect the cage very carefully before you buy it and dont take the owners word for it that they have cleaned the cage. Take it home and sanatize it yourself no matter how clean it looks (i am paranoid that way). For that matter you should wipe down new cages before putting any critters in them.

I got one off of cl for a good deal and I am always on the lookout for a bargain. If you are uncomfortable going alone then bring a friend or relative along.

ok so i lied the ferret.com sale is up but i just ordered mine from amazon warehouse for 188.99 no shipping and no tax......its slightly used but in new condition and can be returned if im not happy with it. i think theres another one on there in an unopened damaged box for the same price.......

Thanks so much everybody! I did go to my local PetSmart. Turns out they do carry the cages and do not price match or anything like that :banghead:

I am going to keep an eye out for ones on the sites everybody has listed.

Thanks so much!! Can't wait to upgrade my little guys :))

ok so i lied the ferret.com sale is up but i just ordered mine from amazon warehouse for 188.99 no shipping and no tax......its slightly used but in new condition and can be returned if im not happy with it. i think theres another one on there in an unopened damaged box for the same price.......

Excellent! Thank you! I didn't even know an amazon warehouse search existed...:duh:

I may be getting one locally in the next few days, but if not, I'm catching that sale (if it still exists by then).

I bought an FN142 from Amazon.com last night for $215 and the very next day, the price dropped down to $199, so I had customer service contact me. They wouldn't just reimburse me the difference, but they let me cancel my order and advised me to just repurchase. So that's what I did, and I got mine for $199, tax including and free shipping. I can't wait to get it. I just bought my chinchilla and her cage, last week, but as soon as I saw pictures in the FN club thread, I had to have one, too!!!!

Dunno if anybody's done this....

I spoke to a lady on Wednesday here that all but swore she had an FN ("it's made for ferrets but I used it for my chinchilla"), and waited two days to get a pic of it. Get the pic today, and it's not even close to a FN...it's more like a gerbil cage or something. Sigh.

Anyway, because I'm getting chinnies next weekend, I needed an FN cage asap (since you all recommend it, plus I can separate them if they start fighting). I got on Amazon, and got the same cage Kaifeng did. I also got FREE 2-day shipping so it will be here Tuesday. I got that by clicking on the option of "30 day trial of Amazon Prime," which gives you a couple of free shipping options. I'll be cancelling that sometime this week. But I'm getting the cage delivered on Tuesday...so I know it'll be here by the time I go pick them up! Yay!:thumbs:

Latest posts

Back