Good or bad to rearrange cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbee

So I was thinking about rearranging some of the things in Hannah's cage. FN cage by the way. However, I didn't know if this was beneficial or not. Is it good to keep them stimulated by moving ledges etc or can they hurt themselves? Sometimes she runs laps like crazy in the middle of the night and with it being dark I don't want her to fall or knock herself silly by being confused. Just wondering :). Thanks.

It's great to rearrange the cage, it keeps them mentally stimulated. However if your chin is really hyper I'd start by just rearranging a few shelves and ledges at a time, see how she does. Also how ever you rearrange make sure she can't fall more then a foot from any spot, since it's not uncommon for miss jumps to happen at first when you rearrange. They generally figure it out quick though, I rearrange see how things work with the new layout then adjust as needed. My guys love it when I change the cage around, even if all I did was move hanging toys around, they run around chatting to each other like people checking out a new house, lol.

I change my boys cage arpund every 6 months or so, it's just so they don't get bored lol!!!

My guys get an overhaul of the living space every now and again, especially if I notice that there are some areas of the cage that doesn't get as routinely explored as the rest. They always seem to be extra affectionate whenever they notice me making some home improvements for them, even if its just spending all afternoon scrubbing and prepping grapevine or willow sticks for their chewing delight. They don't seem to mind mixing things up a little, even when they have some favorite spaces around the cage to hang out. And it seems to improve their overall disposition to do it when they seem a bit irritable with each other if there's a high demand spot that is too often occupied, but even with just one, it might be fun if she isn't a high anxiety critter that needs the comfort of the familiar layout. Most seem to like exploring as long as they have a home base that they recognize, but that seems to be the cage as a whole for my guys, rather than the areas inside it, as such.

No matter HOW she feels about you rearranging her furniture, though, if she is anywhere near as opinionated as my fellas, she will let you know pretty quickly. One way or another, it should be fairly obvious if the effort is appreciated fairly immediately by her reaction. If she sulks, maybe she's more a "don't touch her things!" personality, and you can just put it back the way it was (and beg forgiveness after....) =D

Latest posts

Back