Good cage under $200?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNAC

TheNAC
I am looking for a good chinchilla cage under 200 to upgrade my chin to. I am having trouble finding any online. If you guys could give me suggestions I would appreciate it.

Hi I just checked ferret.com and they have a single story Ferret Nation for 139.99. I keep a pair of chins in one of these. Also then if you decide to upgrade later you can always get the add on unit. Honestly the best chin cage is the Ferret Nation. Sometimes if you are lucky you can get these used as well.

a single story Ferret Nation for 139.99. I keep a pair of chins in one of these. Also then if you decide to upgrade later you can always get the add on unit.

Thats what im going to do! Hopefully I can find one used but im not holding my breath on that...

Oh hold on, I want the Critter nation. Its a little more expensive but my girls like to be able to climb the walls so whatever makes them happy you know? lol
Its pretty much the same thing... I think the only difference is the kind of wire used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshall Mansion at Petco is 150$ with free shipping, it's a little smaller then a FN though.

No you CAN add on and configure Ferret/Critter Nations anyway you want making them 1 2 or 3 stories tall. The only thing I want to mention about this is that there are 2 types of Ferret/Critter Nations the older version that has screws and hardware (Model 141,142) and the newer style without hardware that just fits together (181, 182). You just CANNOT mix the older style with the newer style as they are not compatible to fit together. I also have ferrets and what I did for their cage was take an entire Ferret Nation 142 and then half of a second 142 to make it 3 stories high. The difference between a Ferret Nation and a Critter Nation is that a Ferret Nation has 1" bar spacing and the Critter Nation has 1/2" bar spacing.

This is a pic of my ferret's cage showing the 3 levels...Obviously I am posting this because you can do the same for chins. I would have this same setup for my chins except I keep them in my basement and the ceiling down there is not tall enough to do this for them.

Attachments

• FERRET NATION.jpg
    FERRET NATION.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
No you CAN add on and configure Ferret/Critter Nations anyway you want making them 1 2 or 3 stories tall. The only thing I want to mention about this is that there are 2 types of Ferret/Critter Nations the older version that has screws and hardware (Model 141,142) and the newer style without hardware that just fits together (181, 182). You just CANNOT mix the older style with the newer style as they are not compatible to fit together. I also have ferrets and what I did for their cage was take an entire Ferret Nation 142 and then half of a second 142 to make it 3 stories high. The difference between a Ferret Nation and a Critter Nation is that a Ferret Nation has 1" bar spacing and the Critter Nation has 1/2" bar spacing.

This is a pic of my ferret's cage showing the 3 levels...Obviously I am posting this because you can do the same for chins. I would have this same setup for my chins except I keep them in my basement and the ceiling down there is not tall enough to do this for them.

So could I possibly buy one 141 then buy another 141 eventually to expand it and even another after that?

Yes absolutely. Same thing goes for a 181 just remember you can't mix old/new the older 141 is green and the newer 181 is dark gray. Whichever one you get is what you will have to get after that. It will have to be the same thing. 141's are discontinued but you can find them used 142's as well but if you end up wanting new then it will have to be a 181 or a 182.

Latest posts

Back