Goldbar chins: how rare?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdav

New Chin Lover<3
I've had my chinchilla for a little under three weeks now and he's settled in very nicely. I love him so much that I am considering getting another chinchilla at some point in time. I have read about the 30-day quarantine and the possibility they may not ever like each other. If I needed to, I could keep them separate. Obviously I'd prefer if they could keep each other company, but I have the space and resources to care for two chins completely separately if need be.

So of course, in considering what I would like in my next chinchilla, coloring is a factor. I stumbled across several photos of goldbar chins while reading information about mutations. And I absolutely love the color, it's just stunning.

Problem: can't seem to find them anywhere! Are they so rare right now that the prospect of having one as a pet is simply unrealistic? Or do I just not know where to look?

Gorgeous animal, I did see him. But chinchillas.com does specify their animals are not pets. Im guessing they want their chins to be used as breeders to improve the quality of the mutation. I havent come across any pet quality ones.

You can contact chinchillas.com for "pet quality" chinchillas. They'll probably have a goldbar in there somewhere.

I can probably lead you to someone that would sell one, but I'm curious as to why that's the color you want? Goldbaars are very expensive, even as a pet. You can buy a lot of chins for the price!

I'm with Becky, you can also find pinkwhites that look almost identical to the goldbaars/Lowe Recessive whites.

Sorry, this is off topic, but I am not familiar with goldbaar chinnies. Are they basically just a white chinnie? What makes them so rare and so special? Just trying to get educated on this chin. Thanks!!

Are they basically just a white chinnie? What makes them so rare and so special?
They are a recessive white, you need two carriers to produce them.

I'm not sure what makes them special beyond the genetics, the ones I've seen range from looking like a homo beige to a pinkwhite with a cloudy pale beige gathering down the back.

Due to the "gold" (yellow) hue in the fur shaft they can't compete with a good blue white, but don't fit in with the beiges either. They had a really hard time deciding what to do with them at the show I attended, they didn't do very well.

They are also not rare, just not everyone working with them is parting with them unless they get a good price for them.

There is a breeder working Goldbaar lines in NY, but he's in the Buffalo area. Idk how far away that is for you, but I agree that for the price of even a non-pet quality GB you could talk to any number of rescues or breeders and get an awesome happy pet chin.

I think we all have our favorite mutations if you do enough research on your animals, but in my mind, the color is less important than the personality and health of the animal, so if I found a morph I'm not super into (like my beige) that gets along with my other chins, I'd rather the chins get along. That's how I ended up with 2 standard males; the second one was just TOO Sweet and friendly to leave at the breeder/rescue, and the beige rescue I went to see that day, while he likes the little standard, doesn't like me. (He's always preferred men, even when he was first rescued. *shrug*)

I completely agree that temperament and health would be my top considerations when buying from a breeder. I wouldn't pass up a friendly, healthy standard chin for a skittish, biting goldbar chin with diarrhea. But all other things being equal, I would probably pay more for a goldbar because I like the way they look. I guess it's akin to someone who pays more for a certain breed of dog rather than adopting a mixed breed. Logically, mixed breed dogs are as valuable as pets as purebred dogs, but some people just want a certain breed anyway.

Trust me, I realize it doesn't necessarily make sense! If I were someone else talking to me, I would've said everything the posters on this thread have said. As an aside, I didn't realize you could find a really similar look without the chin being a true goldbar. I suppose that's another avenue to explore. I haven't come across anything like it, though.

ETA: Buffalo is about 4 hours from me. For the right chinchilla, I would travel that far.

Last edited:
Welcome my new fellow Cayden Milne! He is a Lowe's Recessive White and has the most gorgeous golden color.Pics don't really do his coloring justice.His breeder is Christiane Michaud and he took a first place at the NY/NE chapter show this past Saturday.:)

Attachments

• Chinchilla Show 2013Cayden's Homecoming 035.jpg
    Chinchilla Show 2013Cayden's Homecoming 035.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Chinchilla Show 2013Cayden's Homecoming 038.jpg
    Chinchilla Show 2013Cayden's Homecoming 038.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Chinchilla Show 2013Cayden's Homecoming 002.jpg
    Chinchilla Show 2013Cayden's Homecoming 002.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 41
Welcome my new fellow Cayden Milne! He is a Lowe's Recessive White and has the most gorgeous golden color.Pics don't really do his coloring justice.His breeder is Christiane Michaud and he took a first place at the NY/NE chapter show this past Saturday.:)

He is so cute!!! I love his color!!

Mercynursie, I really love his coloring. Beautiful chinchilla. I'll be taking him now, thanks! =D

Good luck trying MDAV!! I am fully prepared to defend my chinchilla fortress against attack! Cayden Milne is gorgeous and yes a part of me felt bad for taking such a wonderful chinchilla out of any chance for breeding. I have all males and all are pet only. But Cayden is very special to me . He is my remembrance of my Momma, who went home to be with God over a year ago. She loved expensive jewelry which I don't really have use for,so I decided to get a very special chinchilla in her memory. I was pulled to the beautiful coloriing moreso than to the sapphires and blue diamonds.He was bought with part of my inheritance and will have a forever home here with me.I know Christiane really hated to part with him, but I am so blessed that she has allowed me to bring him into my life.:)

Christiane, he is gorgeous. I'm surprised he's only six months. It must have been very hard to part with him, but you've made someone very happy by doing so!

Mercynursie, what a beautiful story. I'm so sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing. May Cayden remind you of all the best times with her. =)

Back