Going on vacation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethanyShondark

Hi all,

We have a single chin, Thaddeus, and I was wondering what you think about vacation. We have two 10+ day trips coming up in the next few months. We have left him for a weekend a number of times with enough food and water and he's been fine. We will be having friends stop by to check on him for these long trips. How often should I ask them to come by? Every three days? What is the longest amount of time you've left your chin alone?

Thanks all!

If they are willing, I'd say everyday. You never know if one of them gets sick, your heat turns off, etc. I know I'd feel much better knowing someone was checking on them everyday.

I agree with Armywife and Cuddlebug. When I go away, my dad checks on his "GrandChinchillas" everyday. Better for your piece of mind, and for the "just-incases"

Have great vacays!

I'd be wary of someone coming over to check, it makes it much easier for them to forget. If you have someone you know good with animals I would see if they can take the whole cage to their house because its such a long vacation. Either that or daily checks and have them call you from your house phone or something... >.> I'm super paranoid though because my animals seem to have a 70% chance that one will die when I go on vacations. Now I bring them with me.

I don't have 10 day vacations though. =P

You could possibly take it with you in a smaller "Travel" cage. A small "rabbit/guinea pig" cage just for the trips. He/She wouldn't have as much space as they are used to. But at Least you would have the peace of mind that he/she was okay. And it would only be a temp situation, so it would be okay. As long as you have some toys and could have a play time or two:)

We hire a pet sitter. She comes twice a day at $20 per visit to feed/water/check on them. We also have a web cam and her cell just in case so we can look in.

Back