Going on Vacation... Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Nahrwold

Hello everybody, I'm going on vacation for one week and I am not sure what to do with my Chin. I have a couple options but I am not sure which is the safest. The first option would be to give my chin to a friend who also owns a chinchilla. I would give her the chin and she would put it in the cage with hers. I'm not sure this is a good idea because they could possibly hurt each other because they have never met. The next option would be to have a kid come to my house everyday and refill water, food, hay, etc. This sounds like the best option but the only problem is he would not clean the cage. Would it get way to dirty? :hmm:

Please give me feedback. And also your own suggestions.
Thanks, Sam

Giving your chin to a friend to keep in the cage with hers is absolutely NOT an option. Absolutely too risky.

Clean the cage very good before you go, have the person come daily, and clean when you get back.

absolutely having the friend keep it is out of the question.They would most likely fight to the death! Even if friend could keep your chin in separate cage,it would need to be in a separate room for quarantine/sickness protection for both yours and her chin. Having someone come in would be the better of two options but still not ideal.You would need to make sure whoever comes by is very responsible and doesn't let chin out of cage at all least it not be able to be caught by the person.Also making sure the power stays on for the a/c is an issue. Some vets might board your chin in a quiet area or even better some of the rescues and breeders here on site might board your baby safer for that time period

Be absolutely sure that the person you have coming is reliable. Also be sure that you have a back up plan in place should your air conditioning fail. We are in a run of record high temperatures across the states right now and if the a/c should go out in your home, and you are in one of the danger zones, your chin will not last long. I would ask that they check your chin at least twice a day. It is just so bad right now that I would have no peace of mind with worrying about it.

Back