going blind??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna

I love my FurBlobs.
Ralphy has slight discoloration/grey-blue clouding on his left eye, it's pretty small amount but definitely obvious. is he going blind? I dont know what to do. He's not old, but not super young either. i couldn't get a picture of it....
My thought is to take him to a vet, esp since I haven't noticed it before. What could cause this? unless he is just starting to go blind...

**BUMP**

Okay, so I have pictures now, it looks a little like when you photograph their eyes with a flash camera but it's there all the time. I'm calling the vet monday, (Have been visiting parents with the chinchillas) but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with this??
flash
P6160328.jpg

no flash
P6160324.jpg

It looks like your lad has a cataract in his eye - this is where the lens of the eye becomes cloudy and impairs vision.
Some chins get them as oldies and some develop them at a younger age. Chins can be born with cataracts.

To be honest, I think cataracts are more distressing to us as owners than they are to the chins since most chins seem to adapt to them pretty well.

from my experience with a dog with cataracts. the animal really doesn't get too effected by it. they adjust to their new levels of sight and just continue on.

we have a 13 year old lab spainel mix who has/had cataracts in both eyes. (well when she had both eyes. she lost an eye while we were at a family cabin a while back)

i also have a kitty who had his front teeth removed. he doesnt even notice at all.

the animals really adjust very quickly. as long as your chinny can safely navigate and doent seem hampered by his eyes i would say the chinny is ok.

though if it would make you feel better you going to the vet might be a good idea. you can get better info about it there.

Back