Getting used to his wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1122

Charged By Chins.
Hi,

I put Oliver's Chin Spin wheel in a few days ago. I'm just wondering when you think he will start using it and how long it will take for him to get used to it?
He's tried it once or twice and doesn't seem to use it much, so I might take it out if he's not taking a liking to it.
It takes up a lot of room in the bottom of my cage, anyway (I have a Quality Cage Mansion).

On another topic, he seems to have pretty small poop. I also just changed his food from his old food and Oxbow to just Oxbow; however, he hasn't touched his pellets. Could his poop be small from his lack of eating? I also marked his water in the afternoon, and it has not changed either.

Thanks!

what was his 'other' food? Stuff with the treats? Could be why he's not touching it. I find for my chins they do most their drinking at night. As their just bumming it during the day ;) So I'd check again in the morning.

As for the wheel it took my boys a couple weeks before they decided that they all liked it. :)

His 'other' food was junky food from his breeder. He has eaten some Oxbow, but not much. I guess he will eat when he is hungry.
For his drinking water, he took a few sips of water when I woke up this morning, but it seems kind of awkward when he drinks. I also tried giving him a little bit of water in a small syringe, and he drank it, so that was good.
I took out his wheel as well because it was taking up a little too much room, and he seems to like the space. I might get a silver surfer or flying saucer in a little while, though.

Rebecca how old is Oliver? If he's under 6 months he is too young for any type of wheel. What brand was his old food? Some chins take time with feed switching. If it wasn't filled with treats I would do a transitional switch instead of cold turkey. I'd also be using acidophilus sprinkled on the food while I switch him.

Oliver is 6 months old. I'm not sure what the brand of his old food was. But it had a lot of oats and seeds in it, so I did a cold switch. I have also been sprinkling some acidophilus on it, but he still doesn't eat much. He at least eats some hay so he's getting something. He's also not very active. I think he used to be more active. During the night I don't usually hear him do anything, but I'm sure he's fine.

Rebecca how old is Oliver? If he's under 6 months he is too young for any type of wheel. What brand was his old food? Some chins take time with feed switching. If it wasn't filled with treats I would do a transitional switch instead of cold turkey. I'd also be using acidophilus sprinkled on the food while I switch him.

Latest posts

Back