Getting prepared for show?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

I was wondering about how you all gt ready for chin shows. I might be attending my first for the NY/NE show :). I have blue cloud dust that my chins are using now. Do you give them the same amount of dustbaths? How about brushing? I have a wire brush (It has been used for my dog) and I have asoft bristled brush and lastly a brush tat resembles a regular brush but for animals. What should I use and how should I use it? :) How do you all prepare?

Different people get ready differently. Some pre-groom, some don't.

I don't do anything other than stop dusting 3 days before the show or 5 days for ebonies.

I use chinchilla combs, a sawblade and a sticky lint roller to groom the morning of the show.

Here's a grooming video, your chins will probably not be this bad. This one was taken to show how to keep from getting bit, but you can see the grooming action and comb used.

It also depends on the type of animals you have, the coarser furred ones will need to be cleaned up before the show whereas the soft furred chins will hold their looks for days. :))

There is almost always people around to help, so don't be afraid to ask!

Thank you, but also, do your chins need to have a pedigree? And can I bring them in a small carrier? I don't have those small square cages.

Those small cages are show cages and are provided at the show.

You can bring them in whatever you want though I recommend it be wire and metal as they do spend a good deal of time in it. I've seen people bring actual 2' x 2' cages but most people who've been using shipping crates. Sectioned guinea pig carriers work too.

And also chinchillas don't need to have pedigrees to participate right? None of my chins have them they are petstore chins. But they are just as georgous ;)

No, they don't have to be pedigreed. Instead of their ranch brand, you can put their pet name on the registration form.

No, go to JAGS website and order a chinchilla comb from them. If you don't want to order a comb, you can probably borrow one from someone at the show that will teach you how to groom.

Thank you everyone! One (hopefully) last question, when do you enter your chins/sign up? Do you just arrive and then sign up there or is there anything that you need to have filled out before you get there?

Back