Getting new cage soon help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiaismypet

Ok, so I'm going to be getting a ferret nation cage soon hopefully. I'm confused on what to modify. Are you supposed to get fleece liners AND bass pans? If you get fleece liners do the chins pee on it? Or do you use a litter box? If I get bass pans what should I use. Carefresh? Cuz, when i'm cleaning my chins cage she seems to try to eat her carefresh.. she can't get to it in her cage though. So i'm worried she'll eat it if I use that. I can only use carefresh though because the other stuff makes us allergic. Since i'm in Canada it's really hard to get chinchilla fleece and stuff. Does anyone know where I can order in Canada for Fleece liners or Bass pans? I hope I make sense.. :) Thanks

Well you can go with fleece liners with the plastic pans, which I currently do, I use pillow case style liners that you slide the pan inside of, (which I made myself). Or you can go with the bass type pans, and a liner that goes inside the metal pan. In Canada I suggest Sunshine Meadow Cages, Flower Town Chinchilla, or Grandview Rabitry. Zoey and Lilo's Toy Box sells fleece liners that I know off hand. The chins will pee on the fleece if they are not litter trained, in which case you will need to change the liners more often, at least a couple times a week. Also if you do use fleece and they chew it up then it is no longer a safe option since ingesting it can cause issues.

Do not use carefresh, if the chinchilla eats it then it will absorb water and expand in their gut and cause a blockage. For other stuff are you talking about both pine and aspen shavings? I know pine is a common allergy but aspen tends to not be as much of a problem for some. Also have you tried wood or straw pellet litter? I don't have any brands off hand but you'd want the kind that turns to sawdust when wet, not the expanding/clumping kind, commonly used for horse stall bedding. Another option I've seen people do, though I think mostly with potty trained chins, is tile the cage, but then you still run into the issue of needing some kind of litter for the litter pan.

I suggest both fleece liners and bass pans, with a chin-safe litter box containing a little bedding. Fleece is not expensive and can last a long time if properly maintained. Bass pans are amazing because they eliminate the basic plastic elements that come standard with cages (which, of course, is dangerous if consumed and could lead to blockage or impaction). You don't necessarily *need* to purchase liners, although you definitely can. You could buy a few yards of fleece and cut them a tad larger than your pans, holding the ends down with granite or stone slabs. Here's a post about our cage accents and FN cages; maybe they can help: http://lychinchillas.com/2015/05/13/chinchilla-cage-accents/ and http://lychinchillas.com/2015/04/08/ferret-nation-cages-pros-and-cons/ - best of luck!

Thanks guys! I'm thinking of tiling the lower level and putting fleece on the top. I'll see which ones works better. :)

Lol, it never ends! I'm always remodeling and upgrading little Julios set up.

If you go to ferret nation club feed on here, there are tons of cute ideas.

Congrats on getting a chin!

:)

Back