getting my chins to love me just a bit more

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxoimhers

<-- chin-chin daddie!! &#9829;
I have 2 chins and right now they are being very calm and relaxed i think its because we are staying a bit at my wife's grandma's and they are scared and we are the only people they now, but i want to no how to make my chin bond with me more i want to have the best relationship with my chin's.

I have tryed giving them treats ( not overdoing it just a few treats ) I try holding them and petting them very softly and letting them crawl all over me during there play time. they have gotten more relaxed but i want to best relationship with them any advice??

there personality's are:

Pikachin: very energetic loves his wheel and jumping all over the place and sleeping under the food holder.

Raichin: VERY LAZY VVVEERRRYYY LAZY he likes to sit at the corner of the cage and watch tv, and eat he never runs in the wheel and during play time he sits on the corner in the bathroom and will stay there for the whole play time lol....he only runs if he thinks you have a treat.

Most chins enjoy scritches behind their ears, under the side of the jaw line and /or under their chin. Most have a sweet spot in one of those areas. You will know when you have found the sweet spot because your chin will relax and his facial expression will be one of pleasure. You will know when you have found it. I think scritches are one way to bond with your chins. It may take some time to find the spot so be patient.

If you do a search on scritches you may find photographs of chins enjoying this activity.

i tryed doing the scritches where i seen people giving them in pictures and videos but they reject them they push my hands away but if i have a treat in my hand oh im there best friend they will sit as long as it takes to get that treat.

I sit by the cage and just talk to them, then i go over to the cage when they are awake a try to give a scritch (in the day i will be lucky if i can scritch on their nose) and when they go in after playtime i usually get a chance to scritch them a little more. The treats always work well with my bf at playtime and they will usually jump all over him to try and get more :)

haha yeah the treats always work well they love me when i have a treat lol, during playtime im also there best friend when they want to use me to jump up on to something they cant reach lol, ill attempt to give them more scritches today. i hope they warm up more to me i seen someone have there chin on there lap and the chin just let them pet away and just sat there very calmly.

My chins would never let me have them on my lap while i give scritches, no way no how lol :D I just keep trying and when they do let me give them a scritch its more of a "fine i suppose so but only because im tired"

i no when i seen the chin on her lap just sitting there letting her pet it and groom it i was like what the heck dude my chin's are little brats they don't EVER EVER just sit on my lap and let me groom them or pet them its like a battle to just hold them sometimes.. lol

I'm a very new chin mommy but what I've noticed has really helped Onyx and I bond is simply being part of her playground. I chinproof the bathroom so she can have a jaunt in there every night, and I've found that if I take out a book and lean against the door or something, she runs and plays and I occasionally reach out and scratch her and thanks to her natural curiosity, she hops on my book and onto me and my shoulders and will sometimes just sit atop my head and shoulders and feel "in charge", just not rushing anything is important.

I'm a very new chin mommy but what I've noticed has really helped Onyx and I bond is simply being part of her playground. I chinproof the bathroom so she can have a jaunt in there every night, and I've found that if I take out a book and lean against the door or something, she runs and plays and I occasionally reach out and scratch her and thanks to her natural curiosity, she hops on my book and onto me and my shoulders and will sometimes just sit atop my head and shoulders and feel "in charge", just not rushing anything is important.

That's very similar to how I started bonding with my chins. Going up to their cage every time you're in the room and talking to them is very good too.

I've had my chin for about 3 months now & I bonded with her by giving her her space when I first brought her home so she could settle in. I also talk to her a lot and let her sniff my hands through the cage. She loves scritches, she runs to the door for them & I love watching her enjoy being pampered :)

311685_10150265552800667_670345666_8083336_8098319_n.jpg

262671_10150205289600667_670345666_7538384_3255706_n.jpg

I wish I could do that. I am in college, so I have a lot of reading to do, but every time I bring a book into their playpen area they chew on it.

Latest posts

Back