Getting "good" pictures in a basement

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachydays

<--My sweet girl Gregory
I'm putting this in "housing and Supplies" rather than "Chin Chat" since it really has more to do with their environment.

My chins live in my unfinished basement, where I have fluorescent lighting. This weekend, I had to replace the two fixtures that were nearest the chin cages, as the bulbs wouldn't work even after being jiggled around and then being changed.

The old fixtures were T12, and I had soft white bulbs in them. I always had a hard time getting good pictures of the chins, with the weird fluorescence glare, and also with the ceiling being a bit higher. I knew that the T8 fluorescent fixtures provided a brighter light than the T12's, so when I went to Home Depot I decided to splurge and get T8 fixtures. I also got dayligt bulbs to put in them.

All I can say is, WOW! It makes such a huge difference. The light is quite harsh, and not something I would choose for anywhere else in my house, but it's perfect for the basement. It's so nice and bright, and doesn't seem quite as "dungeon-y" as it did before. I actually didn't realize that it was a little dungeon-y until I put the new fixtures in!

I took some pictures of my little Giggy during his playtime last night, and they turned out awesome. Very, very natural looking.

So, if your chins are in the basement, and you have fluorescent fixtures, give the T8's a try! Even if you go with soft white or bright white, instead of daylight bulbs, the light will be much brighter. The fixtures were $19.97 each at Home Depot. I plan on replacing the remaining 3 fixtures I have in the basement over the next few months.

I have my chins in our basement too, in a back bedroom, but we were lucky and have fluorescent fixtures already in place. I use the full spectrum bulbs, and it makes a huge difference in the feel of the dungeon! We have recessed lighting in our family room down there, and those I hate!

I also use the full spectrum lighting in the chin room for the supposed health benefits and I like the lighting.

Back