Getting chins used to you

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

eventgirl

So I have two chins and one is very social and really doesnt mind being held, the other (and the older one) doesnt like being held to much. I think it stresses him out and really agitates him (he usually loses some fur when I have to pic him up/ try to hold him) But unfortunately I have to pick him up from time to time and I feel bad about it because I can tell he really doesnt like it.

But I wanted to get the opinion from the people on here about a new thing I have been trying.

I have been picking Wilbur up (making sure not to chase him but waiting till he is on one of his perches or something) and holding him close to me for a second until he calms down, then I offer him a treat of some sort, usually a rose hip, sometime a little bit of a shreddie, nothing to big. He willingly takes the treat munches it and then is then calm for a bit so I usually give him a behind the ear scratch (thats his faaaavorite place) and then put him back in his cage and then give him a loofa chew, or a pumice stone. The whole thing maybe lasts 15 minutes max.

So far it seems to be working, he is less jumpy when I pick him up and he is a lot more willing to come up to me when the cage is open. (before scritches were ONLY allowed with the cage closed and through the top of the cage lol)

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Because I know I need to get him used to being picked up, even if he doesnt like it, its still necessary and I have been trying to make the "experience" as good as possible.

So what do you guys think? Should i continue on with the plan, or try something else?

Oh! and he will very willingly go onto my hand, and run all over me. Its the matter of actually picking him up that is the real issue. Before if I would pick him up (like before I started doing this) he would bark and hide from me for the next few hours and sometimes days. I know that some chins will just never get used to being handled, but do you think that this has a potential to help him to associate being picked up with good things?

Thanks again! I know I ask a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure I am doing the right things for my boys :)

Chins really don't like to be picked up so I think what you're doing is fine. Offering a treat as a reward may make hhim more agreeable to being held. I have a couple of chins who need nothing in return for being held, but others act as if you're killing them when you pick them up for 2 seconds to smooch their head!

Hahaha, Thats Wilbur when I pick him up at first its like he thinks OMG SHES FINALLY GOING TO EAT ME!!!!

Then once fat fat realized that there is food involved he seems to be more agreeable lol

furryfriends016.jpg

As you can see he is very food motivated lol

That's an awesome picture. Two of my boys will normally let me pick them up. And the other one, well, he squirms and doesn't let me hold him at all. I think that it's totally normal for them. He will run all over me and play with me, but the second I try to pick him up... Oh boy you would think I was the worlds worst mom. LOL!

If what you're doing works for you and your chin, that's all that counts!
I've a few that once you get a firm hold on the base of their tail, they completely relax and stop struggling, once my other hand is beneath them. I'm thinking they realize exactly what you're going to do, and don't mind, vs. wildly chasing them in the cage, and they know not what's going on!
But I've others that prefer climbing out on your arm before being held by the tail - they're all different!

Latest posts

Back