Getting bored?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Philogirl

So I've tried some different things with the hedgies to keep them amused, but I'm running out of new ideas. They both have wheels, but Jack seems to be the only one to use it for hours on end. Spike does run, but not for very long, and only on some nights. I've given them stuffed animals, kitty balls, toilet paper tubes and they're not even interested with them. When I take them out to play, once they realize they're in a safe zone, they just try to burrow somewhere out of sight.

Jack is a little more exploratory than Spike, but he's been getting more uninterested in doing anything active. Spike is just, well... a bum. He likes to sleep and eat and that's about it. He absolutely HATES light, so playtime has to be done with a small desk lamp on the other side of the room. I've made little "obstacles" for them to find mealies and they seem to enjoy this game. But I can't give them mealies every day and I can't give them enough mealies to occupy them for a few hours.

Any suggestions on how to keep them from getting bored? I don't want them becoming aggressive or lethargic from lack of stimulation.

I have the same issue with my Hazel. She does not like to come out for playtime, she just burrows into my pant leg or somewhere else. I have tried to set up a playpen for her with her wheel, t.p. tubes, etc. She might explore the tube for a moment and then she's back to hiding. I have heard that not all hedgies are the playful type. I hear her on her wheel almost every night but if she even suspects I'm watching her, she runs. I wish I knew of some good tips for you, but seems I could use some too!

What type of wheels do you have? Often when they won't use a wheel it is because of something with the wheel. Are they solid surface wheels with no mesh, slits or anything that can catch tiny toes? Is the wheel surface slippery? If so, angle the wheel slightly back so they slide in rather than out. Try a different wheel.

Some of my gang don't care in the least what wheel they have but a few have definite preferences.

hedgiekel, try using a red light. Many hedgies will come out as if it's dark when using red. I have a red light in my hedgie room and I often put it on when I turn out their other lights. A while later I go back to many of them up and active and they stay up and active while I sit and watch them.

Last edited:
I'll give that a try. She loves her wheel, just gets shy if you try to watch her. ;p
She is the same way when she eats. She freezes in place and then suddenly runs for cover. I also wish I could get her to be more playful, but I know not all hedgies are.

One more question to add to this...do hedgies tend to like the flying saucer wheel? I know they are popular with the chins.

They both have bucket wheels... from Hedgehogs by Vickie. The surface is a little slippery. I clipped jack's wheel to tip inward already, since he's half-blind. I haven't noticed Spike having a problem with the wheel... some nights he'll run for a few hours, other nights just a few minutes, then here and there he won't run at all.

The amount may be proportional to the amount of quiet in the house. I know Spike doesn't like to come out and run if my boyfriend has friends over and makes a big ruckus all night. But still... he's quite the lazy boy.

I know sometimes this isn't a posibility but maybe you could change the room the hedgies play in every one in a while. Even if they have the same things to do, a new scent may give them some motivation to explore.

My hedgie Carmen is the same way.
She either burrows in my arm or leg, or climbs me.
She doesn't like to explore, she'd rather snuggle up and be pet.
=x

Latest posts

Back