Getting back into chins! Currently, I have one spoiled rotten non-existent chin!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That cage looks fantastic!
I will say that I have pretty bad allergies. I'm slightly allergic to all furry animals I've come in contact with except chinchillas.

That cage looks fantastic!
I will say that I have pretty bad allergies. I'm slightly allergic to all furry animals I've come in contact with except chinchillas.

Thank you =)
I am fortunate (or maybe unfortunate) enough where I can't really tell I'm allergic to many things so I don't have to go through all the symptoms some people do.

Names!

We'll I think I'm going to order a few houses and a hay holder with custom made artwork and I was thinking of a theme to do and thought of the movie Frozen.

I think the characters Olaf and Sven are so cute and then was thinking the white mosaic I want could be named Olaf after the snowman in the movie and the black velvet I want could be named Sven after the reindeer.

So I am pretty sure my future chins will be named Olaf and Sven... What do you think??

P.s. Since the ideal month to get my chins is early august they are either growing in a chins belly or are newborns I believe. Aww.

Twilight does the best artwork! Where are you getting your boys, from Bobbie or somewhere else?

Yes, I am ordering a few things from twilight!

I am unsure of who I will be getting my chins from =/. If moonlight chinchillas has the colors I want I will probably get them from her. Otherwise she said she knew of several breeders from other states that frequently come to MN that I could find the colors I want, but she won't tell me who they are.

From looking around I have found a few places in surrounding states:
Wisconsin: abc chinchillas
Northern Illinois: WB treasured chinchillas
Ohio: shoots chinchilla ranch

I also know "tunes" is in South Dakota.

Who is Bobbie? And do you know of anyone else near me that may have a male mosaic and male black velvet around late July-October?

She probably doesn't want to lose business! lol She's actually a really great person.
Bobbie is Bobbie's Chinchillas in Eau Claire, she has a facebook page and is bchins on the forum. I'm sure that is who Alena would be sending you to if she doesn't have what you want.
That's about it for the immediate area, other than back yard breeders.

Oh ok. Thank you.

I think Alena told me she probably won't have both colors I'm looking for, but is there anything bad about getting one from one breeder and one from another?

I feel like it would be easiest to get them both from the same person and I like what alena does with her chins.

What about getting them at different times? I would like to have the best chances they will be okay together and I feel like getting them at the same time would be best or does it not really matter?

And maybe it's just me, but I believe the best practice is an honest one.

When I used to breed my dogs I would be honest with them and answer every question they asked even if they may decide to go elsewhere.

I believe doing the best and most you can with your babies, which I believe Alena is doing. However, withholding information from one of your potential buyers questions was the only thing I didn't like about what she is doing. I believe if the buyer asks you something, you should answer them to show that you believe in what you are doing and the potential buyer will see that, even if they look at other breeders.

But maybe I'm the only one with that kind of philosophy. :hmm:

I don't know, it could just be that she's on vacation right now too.
I don't know about getting chins at different times or from different breeders. I got all my boys at separate times, but there's lots of back story with that and one is a rescue. lol
I say shop around and find what you want from who you trust. I know that Bobbie and Alena are the closest and they occasionally work together, and I personally know and trust them both. You gotta go with what you trust. There should be a list of breeders on the MCBA website if you want more options.

Thank you for letting me know about bobby! She may be able to get me both colors when I am looking to get them! The one that may be an issue is the black velvet.
If she doesn't get any black velvet males, Alena said she breeds for that color and since she will start breeding them June 1st hopefully she should have them by September or October.

I had a question as far as covering the tubes in fleece, is it okay to stitch like a two lines of stitching to make the folded over part look a little nicer? Or does everything have to be hidden?

I am unsure as I don't sew my own. I'd rather pay someone else to do it for me. haha

As far as getting from 2 different breeders, at the same time or different times, there would need to be a quarantine period for both animals in separate rooms.

I am unsure as I don't sew my own. I'd rather pay someone else to do it for me. haha

As far as getting from 2 different breeders, at the same time or different times, there would need to be a quarantine period for both animals in separate rooms.

Oh ok. On the ones you have is all of the stitching hidden? I've been looking at others at it seems like most people have it hidden, however, I have come across several of them where there was a decorative stitch at the end part that you pull over the tube.

Well I hope I can get both of them from one breeder then. If not, I wonder if I could pull apart half of the FN to make shift two cages.

I have officially put a deposit on an adorable mosaic male. This breeder also has a female that may have a black velvet due any day now and just confirmed another female pregnant that could have black velvets.

I am sooo excited!!!

Last edited:
Awww... he's adorable, I hope to get a mosaic (or white ebony) kit one day too.

We'll I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds him cute, not that it really matters lol.

Amethyst- I am unsure of what a "white ebony" is because I thought ebonies are black? This guy is an ebony carrier.. Is that what you mean by white ebony?

Lily&lucy- I am hoping to pick him up late July to mid august. He was born at the end of April. I am waiting for a black velvet male to hopefully be born. The breeder I am talking to has 3 pregnant females possibly carrying black velvets due any day now to about 3 or so weeks from now. So then if there was a black velvet male born in one of those three litters I will pick them both up when the BV is old enough.

White ebonies (also called ebony whites or ebony mosaics) are a type of mosaic but instead being just white with grey like a white mosaic they can be white with grey and/or black. They are ebony and white carriers so your little guy could be a white ebony, depending on his genetics. Basically white + standard you can get a white mosaic, ebony + white you can get a white ebony.

To bud in one something a little ways back-if you are considering a playpen soon, I suggest investing in the higher one. My chin has jumped a 24 inch wood baby gate (he was caught as soon as he landed on the other side, but still). The 30+ inch is not too much more for the peace of mind it gave me in case i had to look away for a second.

Thank you, yeah I was thinking of getting the large 52 by 52 by 32tall I believe. It also has a zipper top so even if that is too short they wouldn't get out. But currently, I am thinking of holding off and seeing how they do in the closet or bathroom first.

Plus the playpen wouldn't fit in many places in my apartment right now anyway.. So I'll probably hold off on getting one until I move into a larger apartment (probably next year) or a house (within 2-3 years).

Latest posts

Back