Getting a buddy for my chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaJ

Have been pondering for weeks if I should get my little guy a buddy to snuggle and play with. He seems pretty content on his own....he has tons of toys, tunnel, squiggly bridge, wheel, a bazillion things to chew on, he gets out of cage playtime for an hour every day and loves it...yet, somehow I wonder if he would be happier with another little dude.

I am just so worried that we will adopt another chin and then my guy will hate him / them not getting along. I really don't realistically have space for a second FN in my home. So i guess my question is - what do you do in a situation where you get a second chin and they end up not getting along with your original single guy.

Meh..!

Have two cages. If you don't have space for two cages or for quarantine or anything, you should rethink getting another chin. I know it's not something you look forward to, your guy not liking another addition to your chin family but it's always best to be prepared, you really need to be. I always thought about getting another chin at some point but I only have AC in my room so I wouldn't be able to quarantine the chin in a cool enough area. If I get another chin, I'll wait til it's cool enough to not need the AC.

Maybe if you move things around in your house, you can find a way to fit another cage? You'd have to find a space for it when it's in quaratine anyways so maybe see if the quarantine space is doable permanently?

Nothing is guaranteed. Everything may work out great in the beginning and then they can decide to turn on each other. You just have to be prepared is all. I used to have 2 pairs and now all of my boys are seperated in their own cage. If you decide to get another chin and it doesn't work out, you can always divide the FN 142 and not have to get another cage.

Well either way your going to have to have two cages because for the first two weeeks the need to live side by side , so if the chinchillas get along then you won't need the second cage and if they don't get along then you need to keep them separated and you will still have the second cage.

Well either way your going to have to have two cages because for the first two weeeks the need to live side by side , so if the chinchillas get along then you won't need the second cage and if they don't get along then you need to keep them separated and you will still have the second cage.

No. For the first 30 days they need to be in separate cages in totally separate rooms for quarantine.

hehe, well he has several fleece pillow buddies I made him, which he loves. :)

How did you make yours? I wanted to make one for one of ours but wasn't sure how. Does it need to be 'chinchilla size' and shape? Or do they just want something soft to sleep on regardless of the size?

Well, I am still a "new chin owner" but I took some left over fleece from the liners I made and stuffed them with more fleece. Then basically sewed them inside out...so he can't get to the thread - never know what those little guys will try to chew on. They are about "half a chin sized" :)

You really need to keep learning about chins before giving advice.

Last edited:
i introduced two boys first in their own cages. then, when they seemed to get along. I gave them plenty of space to live together and watched closely. I created a huge mansion (two bedrooms, living room/bedroom) for merely two chins. They had privacy and all. So, they were not too aware of each other. eventually, they started to sleep together. I was so happy. then, I introduced another boy to them in the similar way. now, three boys live in this delax three cage-mansion. Space, Space, Space,...That's one of my suggestions.

Back