Getting a 2nd Chinchilla - General Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venomv1

Hello,

I am thinking about getting a second chinchilla in addition to my 8 year old, Gizmo. However, I'm a bit conflicted on a couple different issues. I wanted to get a girl, but I am in college and do not want to nor do I know anything about breeding, whether intentional or unintentional. Another thing is the age of the chinchilla that I should get. Gizmo is 8, so I thought about rescuing an older one vs buying a kit from a breeder. However, I wanted to buy a kit from a breeder because then I know a little bit about the quality and past of the chinchilla. My final problem would be bonding. Gizmo has been in contact with other chinchillas and he has been fine, but I'm worried about jealousy. I know I won't know how he reacts until he meets his potential new friend. Also, would you recommend having two separate cages, or combining them into one? I have a Ferret Nation 182, so it is completely possible to have it to where they can go into each other's part of the cage, but I might just have it blocked off so they have their own space.

Can anyone help me out at all?

Thank you

Out of curiosity, why is your heart set on getting a female chin? You mentioned you don't want to breed, so I would think a female is definitely out of the question.

Out of curiosity, why is your heart set on getting a female chin? You mentioned you don't want to breed, so I would think a female is definitely out of the question.

Just a change of pace. Never owned a female animal. Also, one of the more cheap chins I saw that had my heart was a female.

Never had a female, and the one chinchilla that was cheap and I was interested in was a female.

If you get a female you can't let your chins interact at all if you don't want babies. It only takes literally seconds for them to breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if you were considering neutering, take it from someone who who made that mistake and just don't do it. Also do not even consider spaying it is even more dangerous than neutering.

Dont get a female. If you do you will have to keep the cages at lease 4 inches apart, they can not have play time together, would need to be cages separately.... Owning a female is no different than a male. Sex makes no difference in the personalities. That being said if you get another chin yours may not like it. Some prefer to be alone so if 2 cages long term is a problem you may not want to get another one. Age wont make a difference with pairing. Kit or an adult has an equal chance of working out. Make sure you quarantine the new chin for 30 days before introducing to your chin

You've had a chinchilla long enough to know the work and care involved, so you're not going into it blindly. However, I have to ask what your primary reason is for getting a second chin? Is it for you, or is it for Gizmo? Are you bored of Gizmo and/or hoping that another chin could entertain him? Gizmo may be happy being the only chin and having your undivided attention. You mentioned you were in college, so have you considered that your time will now be split with two different play times? Even if you get another male, there is an introductory period and they still may not get along. We have two male chins that did not get along, so now we have two of everything (cages, toys, play times, etc). If you're determined to get another chin, I would recommend a male in hopes that your introductory period works out and they become best friends. BUT, if you're hesitant at all, do what you're doing now and keep asking questions until you're 100% sure. When we got our 2nd male, we were totally prepared to multiply everything by two. Good thing, too, since that's the way it's going to be for the rest of our chins' lives which could be 15-20 years.

I just got a second chinch hoping that the introductory period would be successful, but the older chinch, the first one, was violent and "wrestled" the younger one, even though when their cages were apart, they seemed like they wanted to interact with eachother very badly. I'm probably going to have to keep them seperate forever, but I'm playing out the next week to see how they act still in seperate cages.

Back