General Tips Wanted

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinAndShep

Hi,

I have already done heaps of research as I want the best for my soon to be chins, but I always welcome some more advice. I had reserved 2 boys a couple weeks ago and it is now a month until I can pick them up. They are Pepper, a 4 week old standard grey and Chili a 9 week old brown velvet, they are unrelated however the breeder is bonding them for me. Their cage is a 70 x 42 x 104 cm, but it had ramps and wire levels which I know was not only dangerous but it left absolutely no space to put anything so I took them out and am in the process of getting safe wooden shelves. I have brought a nest box, water bottle, food bowl, a hammock and have plenty of cardboard tubes and other wooden toys prepared.

I accept any tips for my two, but I have a few questions on some topics, so here it goes:
I would like some more advice on setting up the cage and I will post some pictures of it in September (on holiday now). Also I want to know how to chin-proof my bedroom as they will have an hour out every evening, I mean I know to hide wires and plastic but other than that. I am having a hard time finding a metal wheel or saucer so can they do without it if they have play time? I think I will upgrade their cage in the next few years but not yet as I don't have the money and since they will be young I think their current cage is big enough for now, but when I do have money, when is the best time to get the new cage? I know its good any time but I mean like when do they stop growing more or less and if there is an age where they get most hyper, I was thinking when they are two so is that a good age?

Thank you!!

The easiest way to chin proof a room would be with cardboard boxes, but keep in mind that chins can jump 5 feet (152 cm), so the "walls" need to be high to prevent jumping over. Some people have had limited success with stuffing blankets under the bed and under dressers and such, but most chins figure that out pretty quick and dig in. You can also buy a playpen, that way they are contained and you don't have to worry about chin proofing, just supervising. I mostly just use a spare room, which is pretty empty aside for a table and chairs, or fence off an area around their cage in the room they are in (they haven't figures out they can jump high yet), so hopefully someone else can come up with more ideas. I know a lot of people just use a washroom since most can easily be chin proofed since most have few cords to deal with and have easy to clean floors.

They don't need a wheel, and shouldn't have one (or more then a few minutes of playtime a day) until they are at least 6 months. It mostly just gives them something else to do while in their cage while you are away or sleeping. As far as I've seen the metal wheels large enough for chins can only be found online.

Most chins reach full size at about a year, some mutations take about 2 years or so. The time they are the most hyper seems to be under a year, they seem to calm down by a year or so and are a lot less clumsy, however chins are high energy critters so even 'calm' they still run around, bounce and popcorn, just not as randomly.

I'd just like to add that you want to watch them with cardboard, most chins don't actually eat it, just chew/shred it, but some do eat it and that can cause a impaction problem if swallowed. Also hopefully that hammock is made of fleece, as that is the only chin safe fabric, and that includes the straps if it has them. Also since you are getting two I would suggest having two food bowls, two water bottles and maybe two hay holders (depending on how you plan to have the hay) to help prevent fighting over or guarding/hogging of resources.

When filling water bottles always tap the ball to make sure water comes out, when I first got them I wondered why they were not drinking........

some chins are fine running in a bed room, my chins like to eat everything they can get there teeth on. Furniture, items, paint off the wall... If yours are like that, then you probably wont want to let them out in a bedroom.

As Godofgods said they will eat anything. You are also getting a kit. They are like having a puppy. They will get into everything and anything and have no idea of their own survival or what might be counter intuitive to that.

So in the cage, no plastic. I'd also recommend a floor without carpet for play time. Like a bathroom if you have one with a good layout.

Have fun with your new babies! You will likely fall in love fast.

Thank you soo much for the tips everyone! :hug2:

My bedroom is pretty safe as the cords will be hidden and I don't have much plastic. Our bathroom is extremely small so I do not think there would be much point letting them out there, I think they'll be fine in my room. Off the point of chin-proofing, I'll double check that the water does come out of the bottle when I get home and the hammock is made of fleece. They'll have to do without a wheel as I've looked everywhere I could for a good one, all the local pet shops in England, 4 pet shops here on holiday, ebay, other online stores and there are literally none.

Also, here are some pictures to see what you think of them:

dbr34g.jpg
2q9l6cz.jpg
nnjij8.jpg

Back