Gearing up for Eye/teeth examination

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolyphinm

So my little Grimm fungus foster is still dealing with the fungus he had when I picked him up in June. I seperated out the other 2 to finish off quarentine away from him as I figured he might be in it for a while and if they stayed clear I didn't want to risk them then getting whatever he has. (the other 2 look good and have since joined my chin room so my house is no longer feeling littered in chinchillas)

I noticed the other day that he had watery eyes. Not any discharge other then tears but still watery. The fur under his eye has that dried out crusty feel, but the skin looks fine. The fur also doesn't have a dirty look so again not a mucus discharge just more so tears. His fur around his eyes has improved but now it seems we have reached a stalemate on improvement that I can only guess is because he keeps having some moisture added to that area. He gets a dust bath once a day in order to fight this crapola.

Now I definitely think we do need to get his eyes checked out for infection but I also read on the FAQ about ringworm potentially causing watery eyes. Not sure if that's why and we should just hit him with the stronger anti-fungals than just tinactin or move on to the ointment. He eats his pellets just fine and no drooling or pawing at his mouth and good poops.

So which meds are better for potential eye infection? I want to get x-rays too then while getting the eyes looked at to rule out root elongation.

We also had a dust type change during this time so not sure if the different dust is aggravating it so the daily bath cycle adds to the tears so if irrigation is a good idea first or dust brand switch.

I so thought we were on the road to recovery :hair:

When dealing with eye issues, the vet needs to check for a injury first then infection-both issues have different treatments-with the injury you use a antibiotic only, it wont help heal it faster but it will prevent infection-injuries take 10-14 days to heal and the antibiotic drop is used twice a day during healing-I like tobramycin since it does not burn like gentamycin. Infections get a steroid and antibiotic since there is usually inflamation, something like neopolydex. Damage to the eye can occur is this is used on a injured eye that is why it needs to be diagnosed by a vet as to proper treatment. I personally do not start out with dental x-rays since the chin has to be put under unless there are other teeth symptoms-I like treatment happen on the eye first, if the issue does not resolve or it returns then I move on to dental x-rays. Any time a chin is put under there are risks of complications so its wise to be conservative unless other wise indicated.

Sorry your little guy is still having issues Michelle. Poor guy, hopefully it's just something minor as far as his eye is concerned. :crossfingers:

Back