Gas Bloat Stasis Obstruction

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronica

Can you help me understand the differences in between gas, bloat, stasis & obstruction?

How are they different, if at all, in symptoms?

What are the urgencies of these conditions?

When a chin is having one of these conditions, what should he eat? If he is a chin that normally gets treats, such as a raisin or shredded wheat, should these be discontinued? What about applesauce or baby food? What about Pedialyte and acidopholus?

Should the chin be syringe fed water? If so, what method is safe?

What type of medication may be administered for each condition? (I'd really like to know this one to make sure the vet knows what she's doing.)

What is the proper doseage of simethicone?

How long may each condition be expected to last?

Please explain the best method for tummy massage.

If a chin goes on Baytril or some other medication that is known to cause eating/stomach problems, should I ask the vet for a motility and/or pain med at the same time as getting Baytril rather than waiting for the inevitable?

Reason I ask is that George was on a 9-day course of Baytril for a URI and as expected, he went off his pellets. He did continue to eat hay and produced normal sized poops, but very limited in quantity. I thought he was getting back to normal, but between yesterday and today, I've become very much concerned about him and will be taking him back to the vet tomorrow. He readily takes simethicone every few hours and will tolerate heated rice in a sock for a little while, though he really seems uncomfortable. It seems to me that his belly is distended but it is not hard.

I really appreciate your time.

Last edited:
Can you help me understand the differences in between gas, bloat, statis & obstruction?

I'm not sure that "gas" is a real diagnosis. Bloat is just caused by a build up of a lot of gas. A blockage is when something is blocking the intestines/stomach, preventing anything from moving, i.e., if chin ate a piece of plastic and it was wedge in solidly and couldn't budge. Stasis is where the intestines and gut stop working. They don't move anything through as they would normally.

How are they different, if at all, in symptoms?

A lot of the symptoms are similar. Little to no poop, hard poop, a lot of stretching on their bellies, grunting in pain. With bloat, especially if it is severe, they literally look like beachballs between their heads and shoulders. It's similar with stasis, only it doesn't usually blow up quite as fast.

What are the urgencies of these conditions?

Any and all are extremely urgent and life threatening. Any time a chin's gut stops working as it normally should, you have the potential for a serious illness resulting in death.

When a chin is having one of these conditions, what should he eat? If he is a chin that normally gets treats, such as a raisin or shredded wheat, should these be discontinued? What about applesauce or baby food? What about Pedialyte and acidopholus?

I would use Critical Care or Essentials For Life, forcefeeding (if necessary) 4-5 times a day in smaller amounts so that you are constantly trying to stimulate the gut.

Should the chin be syringe fed water? If so, what method is safe?

You can, but it won't make a lot of difference. In order to treat gut stasis, you need to get the mass there moving, which requires lots of liquids. About the only way you are going to do that adequately is through subcu fluids.

What type of medication may be administered for each condition? (I'd really like to know this one to make sure the vet knows what she's doing.)

Read this link and it might help you understand better what meds are necessary: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6553

What is the proper doseage of simethicone?

You won't OD on simethicone. I give several dropperfuls throughout the day when necessary.

How long may each condition be expected to last?

Without meaning to sound obtuse, they will last as long as they last. No one can give you an estimate. Some chins clear up in a day or two, others can take weeks of hard work.

Please explain the best method for tummy massage.

Massaging gently but firmly in a circular motion from just below the ribcage down to the rectum.

If a chin goes on Baytril or some other medication that is known to cause eating/stomach problems, should I ask the vet for a motility and/or pain med at the same time as getting Baytril rather than waiting for the inevitable?

Nope. I've never had a chin become bloated or develop gut stasis from Baytril. If you're concerned about it though, I would have the vet teach you how to give the Baytril by injection and completely bypass the gut issues.

Back