Gary the TOV Mosaic Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljiayi

@chingary
Hello. I'm here to introduce you to my new chin, Gary! He's about 4 months old now so I'm housing him in this cage for now.

picture.php

When he gets older and is more confident jumping about, I'll be shifting him to the cage that I've made which can be seen in the background. I'm also toilet training him in this cage first.

picture.php

As his poop is still quite wet, he is basically on almost a full hay diet. I only give him about teaspoon of oxbow pellets so that he doesn't get bored.

picture.php

picture.php

There's a few more photos of Gary on my flickr account which you can look at from this link.

Last edited:
He is cute. Look forward to seeing more pictures. What kind of cage is that? I've never seen one like that before.

He's a cutie, TOV mosaics come in such a range of patterns! I have a question, why are his poops moist? They shouldn't naturally be, what's wrong with him? Just trying to help ;) and the cage, not sure what the humidity is in your home/area but here that would be too humid for a chin.

Gary is mostly grey over his body with a patch of whiteness at his rump. Apparently if there are offsprings, there's chances of a star shaped pattern appearing in their fur. But breeding is another thing I've to think about as I'm still getting over a chin that I just lost recently.

I'm not sure why his poop is moist but he was only brought over from Holland to Singapore two weeks ago. Perhaps a change in environment caused it? The poop is shaped (not mushy) but when I touch it immediately, it can be a little moist. If it was left awhile, it becomes fine, probably because the wetness gets evaporated into the air.

He is cute. Look forward to seeing more pictures. What kind of cage is that? I've never seen one like that before.
Which cage are you referring to? If it's the one he's in currently, it's a simple acrylic cage. If it's the one in the background, it's a cage similar to a FN cage, it has two wired shelves and two wired ramps which I've removed entirely and replaced it with wooden shelves and wooden houses with no ramps. I made a thread regarding the cage. You can see it here.

Ah yes, that may very well be why the moist poops ;) Good call on the mostly hay, that should in all honesty fix it if it's just due to environmental change. Anyhow, cute boy, will look for pics as he grows as whites change so much in color over their lifetime!

A couple more photos of Gary!

Him giving a full stretch to reach for a pellet.
picture.php

"I'm gonna stick out my head to get closer to the camera lens."
picture.php

Hi guys, just got Gary's official birth certificate. He's a Silver White from a White Violet Carrier Dad and TOV Ebony Mum. :)

Latest posts

Back