Galvanized or Powder Coated

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2manypets

Gotta love chins
Does it matter if a cage is galvanized or powder coated? I am wanting to order a QC Mansion but I don't know if there is a difference.

I have birds, and I can tell you powder coating makes clean up so much easier. But that's birds. Bird poop dries like concrete.
I have the Galvanized Chin Mansion (I didn't want to wait for powder coating) and nothing my chins can do isn't easily cleaned off the galvanized cage.

I will mention that I saw a picture of a Powder Coated Chin Mansion, and it looked REALLY nice!!!

Personally, I hate the look of galvanized anything (think of the silver chain-link fencing). And after a while, it starts to corrode from urine, and there's really not much you can do to make it look nice and shiny again. Powder coating, on the other hand, looks almost like paint, and it cleans up well. FNs are powder coated and you can scrub and soak and take a pressure washer to them and they'll look brand new again. Not so with galvanized stuff.

I had an FN for my other chins but I am not sure if it would fit in my new room. I will probably get one powder coated then to make cleaning easier.

The zinc-coating on galvanized cages does not stand up well to the barrage of acids and bases that chins and humans throw at it. Look at some Bass pans that are a couple of years old- there are spots where the zinc has worn off and the iron starts corroding.

The zinc-coating on galvanized cages does not stand up well to the barrage of acids and bases that chins and humans throw at it. Look at some Bass pans that are a couple of years old- there are spots where the zinc has worn off and the iron starts corroding.

This is exactly why galvanized is a waste of money.

I have the basic QC cages and just the pans are powder coated, I think they have held up quite well, and I've had them for 4 years now, but do agree if you can afford powder coated why not go for the it!

Thanks for all the help! I am getting 2 rescues tomorrow and from the pictures it looks like they need a new cage so I will go with a powder coated QC mansion then!

Latest posts

Back