Gallbladder removal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiatrack

My husband is having his second gallbladder flare up in a year. Last year they wanted to take it out but we couldn't afford it since he was just finishing nursing school. Now he has better insurance and has an appointment on Monday with the surgeon to get a date to take it out. I know it's a pretty minor surgery and I'm not too worried about that aspect, but I'd love to hear from those of you that have had it done. What was it like afterwards? My husband is a bit nervous that his symptoms might not get better, since some of the bowel issues can remain.

I feel for him! I had 1 flare-up in my life, and thought I was having a heart attack!
Haven't eaten Burger King chicken sandwiches again, and been fine! Nothing since!!
Know a few people that've had it removed, and no complaints afterwords! It's usually done in 1 day surgery - in and out.

I am 18 now. I has mine removed when i was 16.
Gallbladder flare ups are common in my family. I know what he's going through the pain is terriable

I had mine removed last year. I never had a painful flare up, just this nagging ache in my side allllll the time. It went around to the back too and it was just a miserable feeling. I finally got it removed (after several years of denial) and it was instant relief. The surgery was nothing, literally. In and out in very little time. I was up and walking later that evening. The bad thing for me was the pain after. Every time they gave me a narcotic, my BP bottomed out. It was no fun going through the first several days with just Motrin, lemme tell ya. Other than that, it was easy.

Something nobody bothers to tell you, however, is about dumping syndrome (which I'm sure hubby knows being a nurse). And lemme tell you - it sucks. Greasy food, leafy veggies, fatty food - forget it. Instant dumping and run for the bathroom. I know this is going to sound like TMI, but I had several friends warn me ahead of time thank God, otherwise I would have thought something was wrong. He's going to have to figure out which foods trigger the DS in him. Once he does, trust me, he'll learn to plan accordingly. You've got about 10 minutes after you eat and that's it, then you better be near a bathroom.

The surgery? Piece of cake. The relief is wonderful. After? Until you figure out what works for you, not so easy.

Thanks Peggy! DS is exactly what he's worried about. However, he's been having bowel issues fairly consistently for the past year, so he's used to some "urgency" issues. Glad to hear that you're doing much better.

My friend's hubby had his removed last year, don't think anyone's told him about the dumping syndrome, she is constantly complaining about how much pepto he goes through. Will pass this on.

He was misdiagnosed twice, an ER doc figured it out the third time, operated on him that morning and he also had immediate relief. Except the pepto drainage of course.

Greasy food, leafy veggies, fatty food - forget it. Instant dumping and run for the bathroom.

You know, I still have my gallbladder and certain foods do this to me. Dairy is the main culprit. Mexican taco spices come second, avoid those because they burn on the way out too. :p Cajun spice must be different because it causes me no issues. How's that for TMI?

I have a few friends who've had theirs removed and they all said the surgery wasn't too bad and the relief was immediate! Best of luck to him!

Back