GAH! Planned Power Outage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

On Monday we're supposedly going to have a power outage from 7:30-9:30am, and then if what they're trying to achieve "doesn't work," possibly again on Tuesday at the same time.

Luckily the temperature is supposed to be only 18 degrees celsius max, but that still doesn't solve my problem that the sun comes in the chin room all morning. Normally it's not a problem, I keep the curtains drawn and the AC on max all night, so the room is about 19 degrees most summer mornings... But without the AC I worry that in the space of 2 hours it'll heat up a lot in there.

I have nowhere to bring the chins for a couple days, my parents are on a cruise so they can't come pick them up (and I'm not sure that would even be necessary... considering it's only 2hrs)

My plan right now is to put the AC on max overnight, and get up around 7 and stay in the room to make sure that it's staying cool enough. I can't open a window but I can take out the plexiglass that covers the hole from the AC, which will let in tons of cool morning air (it's supposed to be 10 degrees overnight.) Maybe I'll freeze some Pepsi bottles filled with water, juuuust in case.

That should be fine right? Everyone is telling me to calm down but I'm a bit nervous... maybe I'll be really lucky and it won't be sunny lol.

Also, why do they do these things on Monday during get-ready-for-work time?? I don't work Mondays but it would be very impractical if I did. What a great way to start a week!

Last edited:
Can u cover the windows with dark curtains to help keep it cool? Or can you move them to a cooler room? I would put the ac on high, but I don't think the room would get too hot in only 2 hours. If it last longer I can see how it could be a problem.

Yeah we have dark curtains in the room, which helps a bit. I'm gonna do the Pepsi bottle thing also in case. Unfortunately there's only 1 other room with air conditioning in our apartment which is our bedroom, and we don't have space for the Critter Nation in there. Worst case scenario I can bring them in there in a carrier for a little bit if it does start getting warm, the sun doesn't come in our bedroom at all.

Just make sure you have the curtains shut and have your frozen water bottles for backup, but you should be fine. I have been through worse situations with my little one and we got through alright. Keep an eye on the forecast, though, to make sure it doesn't change.

In the end it was fine! We turned off the AC at 7am to make sure the power outage didn't create a surge, and then I opened the window and door at 7:30, and opened the patio door on the opposite side of the apartment. It was about 13-15 degrees outside and was SO COLD in the apartment for those two hours, but at least the chinnies were cool :))

Needless to say, I still didn't get any sleep until 10am when the power came back, and the AC was back on.

Back