Fur Slipping Out the... Well you get it

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
Ok, so as some of you know, back around Christmas time, I took in two chins from a former classmate, beige male named Kiwi and standard female named Squirt. When they got here, they were great, full furred, etc.

Once they'd settled in, I seperated them. It seems like, since then, they both furslip constantly. It doesn't matter what happens. One of the other chins could make a sudden move and shake the cage, and there goes another patch of fur. I avoid holding them for this very reason, don't take them out of the cages unless I have to. It hasn't happened as much here lately, I think their fur is starting to grow back in, but what can I do to help with this?

It's very nerve racking to see bald butts on your chins and know that you may be the cause of it. They're currently housed with my other chins (Kiwi with the boys, Squirt with two of my girls), and it's not from anyone chasing, I don't think. I usually see Kiwi cuddled up with Cuda, and Squirt with one or both of the girls.

I also know it's not chewing, as it's fully bald, down to the skin slipping. Hopefully they're over it now and settled in, but if not, suggestions would be lovely.

And yes, they're in a quiet room of the house.

They may cuddle up at times during the day, but there is the chance the newbies are getting bullied, but not severely. If you don't notice it stopping I would separate them into each their own cage and see if the slipping slows down or stops.

Well, I've noticed him slipping from something as simple as me changing the food bowl even before pairing up with the others after quarantine, so that leaves me to think that it's not really bullying. Heck, if the other boys were bullying him, I doubt they'd have let him chew their whiskers down like he has. I think they're settling in, now, though. Kiwi came out on his own tonight when I had playtime, but even still. Jumping onto my lap of his own accord, I was still left with a huge wad of beige fur when one of the other boys started dusting and it scared him. And he was facing the dustbath! (And I know he's not blind. Monaco's my blind boy)

Squirt's not quite as bad as Kiwi, and has calmed a bit more since being in with the girls, it's Kiwi who is my main concern. But as it's both of them, it has me wondering how handled they were with my former classmate. Their fur was fine when they got here, so I'm contemplating the fact that short of feeding/watering/dusting, he didn't do too much with them.

Also, on my days off I tend to live in my bedroom, and am a night owl, so when they're up, so am I, and the past three days, there's been no chasing in any of the cages. Not saying it would surprise me if there were scuffles, but it just seems highly unlikely given the other pieces of the story.

Last edited:
I'm just guessing here, but maybe its just because they aren't used to you get. As you mentioned, you don't think your friend bothered with them much but maybe when she did, she may have chased them and grabbed them (which causes automatic fur slipping). They may be thinking that you are going to do this and every time you are around them they may be 'preparing' for you to grab them and slip fur. I think this is something that will stop in time once they realize that you mean them no harm and they come to trust you. In the meantime, you'll just have to live with their 'bald butts'

I agree with Cheryl. They are both probably just not use to you and are scared. Their natural reaction is to throw their fur for protection. Give them time. I am sure it will stop once they get more comfortable with you.
Although I have had one chin who was a scared all the time. I got her when she was 2 yrs old. I have had her for almost 2 yrs now and she always throws her fur if I touch her.

I'm by no means new to chins. I know the fur slipping is a defense mechanism. I've had chins for about 4 years now, come May. And in that time, these are the first kiddos who've been scared if I so much as look at them. I guess I'll just wait and see. Hopefully I start to see hairy butts here soon. Lol

Like I said, it's just nerve racking. I've gotten chins from ranch-type situations who didn't slip this bad, including my blind boy. Then again, most of my chins were less than six months when I got them, and these guys are both about five years old.

Latest posts

Back