Fur Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I remember reading on a thread here that angoras (as well as Lockens) were useless pelt-wise, but I can't seem to find it now. However, I don't understand why they would not be desired in the pelt trade. Is the fur of unequal length? If it has all the same qualities as the normal pelting standards and differs only in longer fur length, why is it bad?

Also, can anyone explain to me how veiling for the TOV gene works? What does it mean to have a broken veil? In comparison, what is a good veil?

Angora and locken pelts are not marketable because fur length is uneven and not strong standup type fur which is what is desired. They both come in many colors with angoras in all dominant colors and some recessive as well.

As far as veiling, and this pertains to most all colors not just tov, you want nice even veiling from the tip of their nose to the tail and covering slightly down the sides. You want no areas that have a break in this patteren or have it lighten up like in the neck area as a lot do.

Also with the prices the lockens and angoras are bringing alive not sure why any one would even consider pelting them for what pelts prices are bringing.

Could you provide pictures of a good veil and a poor veil? Is a veil just an area of darker color that is preferred to be in a certain location and pattern?

The veiling of a chinchilla is the darker tips on each strand of fur. The pattern of color formed by the distribution of the density of the veiling tips and the amount of this darker color is termed the veiling coverage or veiling pattern.

Pity, it seems like all the shows and field days are during the academic year; I'm not sure if I can make any.

It is very hard to show during the warmer months. The animals do not look their best, traveling with the heat is also a little on the nerve racking side with your best animals at risk and you also need a hall with AC. Another thing you may want to check out is the ECBC Annual meeting where they will have live animals and judge training for judges and for the every day individuals alike. It will be Nov 1st- 3rd in Sacramento, CA.

Back