fur question..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carli

carli
Hi, I am sort of new to this website. I’ve had my chinchillas for 2 years without any problems. When I got my first chinchilla I didn’t know much about them. However, I have always used this website as a guide but having no problems I never registered.
Now nevertheless I do have a problem
My white chinchilla, Fiki has a spot on his back; his fur is slightly sticking out. To the touch, it’s kind of stiffer (stiff but also greasy.. I guess, nothing extreme) than the rest of his fur. . At first it was much smaller without a hard feeling, but it has grown. You can’t see it in pictures so I didn’t include any.
My other chinchilla sometimes affectionately nibbles on it. Since Fiki’s personality is much more aggressive. I didn’t think it was anything. Now I’m wondering if it’s being cause by the nibbles..
I’ve gently ran my fingers through it. It’s not knotted. But it’s not just on top.. Fiki is shedding and my other chinchilla is not. Fiki’s fur is naturally denser though and it is spring.
I hope the description is helpful. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Ok silly question time! =D

Most of the time when I've encountered crusty hair with animals it's been from scabbing/infection. Have you fi ger probed the skin under that patch to make sure there isn't a cut or anything?

How does your chinnie drink water? Sometimes my youngest drinks it at some odd angle and so etimes the wet patch of fur will get hay or ood crumbs/dust in it and make it stiff and awkward.

Also I def have noticed with my two that their fur is EXTREMELY different.. Sensi's is much thicker and doesn't shed while Sookie's fur always creates expensive white gloves on my hands when I hand wash her fleece

There isnt any scab or under the fur.. I also dont thik its from a water bottle. He is pretty good with it not spilling the bottle. I think its being caused from the fur shedding but the hairs that are still attached are holding it in.

Sounds like matted fur, which is pretty normal. If I remember correctly, other members on here said you can gradually pull it out over time

Sounds like some fur that was shedding and got stuck. Just grab the part that sticks up and give it a quick tug. It should release and come right out. If it is more than a little tuft at this point, you can pull a little each day until it is gone. It does not hurt the chinchilla, but it does, sometimes, annoy them and they might bark when you do it.

Latest posts

Back