Fur clumps

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

I give my chin Nemo a dust bath two times a week during winter, since the air is dry is winter and every other day in summer time.
Last night when I pet him, I found a big fur clump on his back right above his leg, its a pretty big one and its really close to his skin. I don't think I can make it go away with just combing it. I don't think dust bath would do anything about it either, it must have been there for a while I just never found out. Nemo was with my friend for a year and he returned back to me in October. So I'm guessing its something my friend did. (ha)
So, I guess my question is, can I cut it off? Would his fur grow back? I'm afraid of cutting his skin though since its real close.
What's the best way to do this?

Do not try to cut it out. It is way too easy to nick their skin. Work at it a bit at a time with your fingers till you get it loosened up. Then use a quick yank to make him slip the fur and it will come right out. Yes the fur will grow back.

When gizmo had this I would pull at it a tiny bit each night and eventually it was loose enough to do one quick tug...she didn't notice lol

Lol, I just tried and I guess I need to be more gentle next time, he yelled at me. But he's not mad cos he came right back at me, I will try again tomorrow. Lol

I had to deal with that on the rescues. I combed it out, it'll end up pulling the hair out. So you may notice a missing patch of fur.

So last night I finally got that big chunk of fur out of him, and he was really really pissed at me, I tried my best to be careful and not hurt him, but the clump was so big and I guess it did hurt. He yelled at me and scrached my arm really bad(lessons learned). I wiped the scraches with alcohol but I guess I'm allergic to the scraches a bit, they were so itchy and they poped up. Does this happen to you?

Oh I hope he forgive me, this morning he was still mad at me and was ignoring me

when any animal scratches you will sometimes get a raised red itchy cut....my cats well they poop in a litter box ....the same goes for chinchillas they walk in poop or pee, keep the scratches clean and peroxide them or use an anto biotic gel like neosporin...I get scratched all the time.....my chinchilla ran across my face when I was typing on my laptop and scratched me there

I have cats and chins and get scratched all the time. They usually do turn red and raise up for a day or two. Kerri101 is correct about the reasons and how to keep it from getting infected. I am sure he will forgive you, it just might take a little time.

Latest posts

Back