Fur Chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddskers

Hi everyone,

I have come to this site to ask a question about fur chewing. My chinchilla has been fur chewing for about a year now, and she is only 3 years old. When I researched it after she began, one of the factors that could contribute to fur chewing was stress and another was boredom. She has plenty of toys that she loves to play with and chew, and she hasn't experienced any crazy stress from environmental changes or other factors that I know of. When we took her to the vet, he checked her skin and fur, and she did not have any mites or infections. She has recently begun to chew her tail fur as well, exposing a small part of the tip of her pink tail. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is there anything I could do? I don't want this to affect my chin's emotional well being, so I am hoping to help her in any way possible.

Fur chewing can also be genetic. It doesnt harm the chin in any way (no matter what the cause) so just love her the way she is

i had a chinnie that started fur chewing due to stress (we moved). i think shes on the mend now so there is hope. its true, ive also heard that some never stop, but i think you should just keep doing what youre doing. keep giving him lots of chew toys and things to keep him occupied. maybe try some new types of treats thrown into the mix? maybe he'll find something new he loves.

Back