Fungus on Dogs or Cats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tskoffina

I have a fungal infection on my hand and the Derm seems to think it came from one of my pets. Probably the dog, who goes outside, but maybe one of the others. I blame my boyfriends dogs who all live outside. He said not to handle any of them until they are all treated. None of them have anything wrong with them, but maybe they are carriers? Is this something I can take care of at home, or do they need a vet visit, and can anything really be done since they don't have an infection?

I contracted a fungal infection on my hands from the hedgehogs - probably from all the gunk that some of them like to annoint with. Anyway, my dermatologist said that "the animal" would probably be all right, as it was just transfered from the surface of their skin. However, if I noticed any discharge, crustiness, redness, etc... that he/she should get checked out.

However, with a dog who is unable to puncture your skin to transfer germs and fungus with their fur, you might want to consult your veterinarian just to be safe.

The only was to truly diagnose if they have a fungal infection is to get a hair follicle sample and look at it under the microscope for fungal spores. Or they could do a culture, but that usually takes weeks.

I suppose it could be possible for them to be carriers - don't know whether or not that would show up when testing the hair follicles.

You could have picked it up anywhere. I wouldn't treat the dogs unless you know they've got it, which will require a vet.

And cats are the most likely carriers. Much more so than dogs.

Keep an eye out for pinkish red inflamed hairless patches on the skin. Check everyone, everywhere. Vacuum well and toss the bag.

Good luck.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't want it to come back, and he said not to hanle any of them till it's taken care of to prevent a re-occurance. The cats are indoor only, so I don't know where they could have gotten it. Maybe a good bath? It's been 3 weeks for me, and no one else, people or pets, have it.

If the cats do have it, or the dogs, or whatever animal I do not think a bath would get rid of the fungus. :(

A bath isn't going to help if they carry fungus. Just as washing your hands didn't prevent it. The only sure way to tell is a vet visit and a hair follicle test. Woods Lamp doesn't work all that well.

I wouldn't do anything but preventive care until I see proof someone is carrying it.

Latest posts

Back