Frustration

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanceswithElvis

House Hobo
So, the science learning resource center I work for has a chinchilla, which is great. But, the poor thing was sexed wrong by the pet shop and had been kept in a cage with a male at the store. AND is missing two fingers. She's pretty young judging by the size. So, I'm just...ugh.

My question is, how young do females start breeding and what do I need to look out for?

size does not determine the age of a chinchilla.
your best bet is to keep her alone for 111-120 days (gestation time) and you shall see if she was caught by a male.

good luck

size does not determine the age of a chinchilla.
your best bet is to keep her alone for 111-120 days (gestation time) and you shall see if she was caught by a male.

good luck

I'm hoping her size denotes youth. Otherwise, she's TINY, especially in comparison to my boys I have at home.

111-120? Okay, thank you! I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on the little one. She is such a sweety, especially since it seems she had a rough start.

I'm still upset about the fingers, to be honest. I realize chins do it to themselves, or other chins do it...or accidents happen. But, I really just can't stop myself from laying blame at the foot of the pet store. I really can't. She let me hold her and examine her, and so I know they aren't a recent injury. I just pains me that this little one went through something like that.

The is a good chance that her mom did it during birth. First time Mom's get a little carried away during birth (sometimes even experienced Moms do).

Are you certain they were amputated? I've heard of a few chins born with missing fingers or toes: genetic issues arising from poor breeding practices....

I'm with Barb. If babies are a bit stuck in the birth canal, moms pull very hard on what ever they can to get the baby out. Might of been an accident cleaning the kit after the birth as well. Who knows....

One of my chins (from a breeder for shows) is missing one of his toes. It happened at birth according to her. That's why she sold him because he wasn't able to show. I wouldn't worry to much about the toes. I'd personally be more worried about if she is pregnant or not.

One of my chins (from a breeder for shows) is missing one of his toes. It happened at birth according to her. That's why she sold him because he wasn't able to show. I wouldn't worry to much about the toes. I'd personally be more worried about if she is pregnant or not.

There are plenty of chins in shows that are missing toes, have beat up ears, they could be missing an eye etc. They aren't judged on any of those things, just fur quality. If it wouldn't affect the quality of the pelt, the judges don't care.

Missing toes can be caused by many reasons. I have several chins from breeders who are missing toes. One of my guys only has two toes on one of his paws. He couldn't care less. I also had one get a toe bit off while he was in his cage and another chin was out for playtime. The chin in the cage was standing against the cage bars with his feet on the bars and the other just came right up and nipped it off.

Chins adapt well with missing toes- it sounds like this girl has bigger problems.

Well I was told she wouldn't show him, that's why she sold him. Maybe it's just she didn't believe he was show quality. Either way, missing toes aren't usually that big of a deal.

I'm watching her carefully and making sure she has everything she could possibly want. Poor girl. I may end up bringing her home. Especially if she is pregnant. We're lavishing attention on her and she's responding well. She's friendly and curious and has let me hold her and pet her several times.

Back