Fruits?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imahkinusa

So I have been reading a lot of articles about feeding chins with fruits. Most of the article I read said it is completely safe, but do not overfeed them. 1x1 sugar cube size is the perfect size. Is this true? Because I fed my chins with strawberries and someone told me they will die off of it which scared me off of doing it, but my chins really love it and their poops are looking completely normal. Their appetite and behavior seems to be better also after feeding them.

Any advice would be helpful!!
Thanks in advance :D

We don't generally recommend feeding fruits or vegetables on this forum. I know there are some who do, but most of us choose to err on the side of caution. Domesticated chins do just fine with good quality pellets, good quality hay, fresh water, and wood chews. If you want to give a treat, use a supplement that has is recommended for chins. Tanya from fuzzieskingdom.com sells many supplements that people on the forum rave about. I know my chins really like them. I'm not sure if anyone else is actively making supplements anymore, though there used to be several people. You can also offer dried rose hip, organic rosebuds, and a pinch of old fashioned oats as well.

A few do feed dried berries like goji and Ronda's chinchillas sells several supplements including papaya chunks because of their health benefits. Overall though most would not feed fruit and especially not fresh fruit. Dried fruit also has to be sourced carefully, ie buy from a chinchilla vendor, because it can contain added sugars or unhealthy preservatives.

Back