Fruit flies in my room, should I move my chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

Unknowingly my puppy dragged an apple into my room, and under the bed. I have been sleeping on the couch the past week due to being ill. I did not notice the fruit flies. I had my brother feeding my chins to cut out the chance of me making them ill. I killed a bunch of flies today with soapy water when they were on my window. I bought fly strips and hung them around my bedroom. I have several bowls with apple vinegar around the room. I read this was a good way to get rid of them. My chins have clean cages (I changed them today, and used fleece). It had been a week and a half since I changed them however. They had KD pine bedding. I did not notice any bugs hanging around my chinchilla cages before or after changing them. the flies are not around their cages at all.

I hate bugs so much :tantrum:

I don't think the flies will bother the chins at all. We had a sudden infestation this summer and the boys didn't seem to notice the flies and the flies didn't seem to notice the boys. Just make sure the chins don't have access to fly strips or the vinegar traps when they come out to play.

The flies won't bother the chins. I breed chameleons and have to breed fruit flies for their offspring. Despite the chameleons and fruit fly cultures being in a different part of the house, I'll get flies showing up where the chinchillas are from time-to-time, and they've never seem bothered by it. The traps you have should help, and as already mentioned, just make sure the chins can't get to those, and it shouldn't be a problem.

Chris

Latest posts

Back