Fresh Hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

Since I've only bought one bag of hay, I wasn't sure what to expect as in how to determine freshness. I bought a bag of Oxbow Timothy and it's kind of stiff and dry.
What does fresh hay feel like/how could I tell if it's fresh? Would you guys suggest buying it online rather than from a pet store?

Also, how many of you also feed orchard grass along with timothy? Is it beneficial?

The bag of Oxbow I have is VERY stemmy & course. If you order online and want the softer hay you need to order the 2nd cut or even 3rd cut. But they should still get the first cut or the more coarse hay to help with tooth ware.

I also have a bag of orchard grass that I give a pinch of, also oat hay, alfalfa and a couple other blends when the mood strikes. Its good to mix it up if you can but they would also survive on Timothy alone.

I never advise buying it from a pet store. Even though it's Oxbow, which is an excellent company, they have no control over how many months or years that hay sits on a shelf.

Usually fresher hay has a fresh smell to it, it feels softer when you touch it, more like fresh grass.

It's okay to still use the hay you have, unless it has mold or a lot of dust. Just because hay isn't fresh out of the field, it doesn't make it bad. It loses nutritional value, but it still works the teeth and provides roughage.

I just bought a bag of Oxbow from Petsmart too and it's totally stiff and dry. However, last time I bought Oxbow hay (a little more then a month ago) also from petsmart it was perfect. I guess it's just a hit or miss when you're at Petsmart. I always open the bags and check the hay out. Don't be discouraged from getting Oxbow in the future, as it's usually fantastic.

Knowing Petsmart, they probably don't cycle out the hay based on the cut date. The bags you and I got were probably hanging out in the warehouse for months. jerks.

When I do buy hay from a petstore, I only buy hay from Oxbow's preferred retailers.

Those stores move the hay very quickly. And that is both according to Oxbow & the store owner. But the hay must be 1st cut because it is coarse.

I order hay online and when I open the bag it is like running in a meadow! ;)

Thanks for all the info, everyone. =) Now I'm probably just going to go ahead and buy online because I can get more varieties and hopefully it'll be a bit fresher, though the stuff I have now is probably fine and will work well. Not dusty or moldy, just stiffish and dryish. I love the smell of it.
Isabella, I'm sure you're right. =P

You can order directly from Oxbow, you just can't get little tiny bags. You need to buy bigger quantities. You just call and place your order over the phone.

Latest posts

Back