Freaking out!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akunaferret

Tasty Human
May not be an emergency but i'm shaking. Went to feed my chins this morning and saw blood all over the cage. all 3 chins were fine and bouncing around but looked for the source. The small toe on Grims back leg is gone. I cleaned it up but I'm not sure what else to do. Should I move cages?

I got ahold of tab (thank you darling!) and she helped me out. I just dunno how to delete this thread hahah

not sure what moving cages will do. you need to clean out the blood from shelfs. stop the bleeding by using blu kote if you have it. and see if you can find the source of the injury. did he get it caught or was their fighting. if there was any fighting, other sings would be fur chunks about the cage. if so, than you may want to separate. make sure there are not any rough edges, loose screws, etc.....

I chcked all over, Tab said to run your hand all over the inside of the cage, which I did, didn't find any sharp edges or anything. So I'm not sure what caused it. There were no signs of fur anywhere, and they were all cuddling when I found them, they hopped away and I noticed blood on the hidey house that they have tipped over and used as a bed. When I looked at the chins that's when I noticed the blood on the shelves. I'm still keeping a watch over him, the blood stopped bleeding on it's own and it appeared to have happened over night. There was no blood when I said good night to them last night, and what freaks me out the most (though not as much as finding blood everywhere) is I didn't hear any chinny cries.

When this happened to my chinchilla, the vet prescribed both an oral antibiotic and topical bacitracin to keep the wound clean. He also trimmed the wound so it would heal nicely over the bone. If the bone is sticking out, it can get serious. He also recommended cleaning the wound it with saline (baby nose drops, NOT eyedrops) and keeping the chinchilla away from dust until the wound closed. If your little guy is okay, maybe my vet was just being overcautious?
The whole thing was very affordable, cost me about $50, and I got a lot of peace of mind from the visit.

Latest posts

Back