Four-legged friend may be passing.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
Please send good thoughts and prayers for my boyfriend's dog, Rascal. He's an 11 year old Golden Retriever who was found unconscious with a 105* fever and signs of heat stroke yesterday. I don't have too many details, but this dog is very *very* special to C., and to me even though I don't know him well. (He's basically the Golden from "Up", only the size of a Rottweiler and less trained.)

This morning he was eating and drinking on his own. They're taking a biopsy of a lymph node that was swollen back in December, when C. and I took him to the vet for a case of Demodex mange. The mange cleared up, but apparently the swelling in his neck didn't, or it came back after his antibiotics. C. has a busy week ahead of him with certification classes, and I don't know how much wind losing Rascal will take out of his sails.

There's also a chance that Rascal got into that condition because he was left outside in 98*F heat with no water or shelter, but I'm trying not to jump to conclusions. If I find out that's the case, I'll have a hard decision to make about contacting the authorities, which I almost did back in December when he went all day outside in freezing temperatures with a frozen water dish and no dog house.

:cry3: Gonna be a looooooong week.

is there anyway you can get him and keep him with you? It sounds as if those that are caring for him are not doing a very good job.

I hope things shape up for him! Blessings sent!

Thanks, everyone.

Unfortunately I live with a dog aggressive dog, so the adjustment to Rascal and Bobby in the same house could be difficult. That said, he's welcome, if my boyfriend/fiancee decides to move him in here. Bobby will adjust, and so, I'm sure, would Rascal. None of us could live with ourselves if it does turn out that neglect caused that poor dog to suffer like that.

As for the big doofus, he's still eating and drinking, and recognizes/loves on people. They're still waiting for biopsy results on his liver and lymph nodes. Just have to keep those loving wishes coming for him until we know what's going on.

Rascal passed today. The lump on his liver turned out to be cancer, and apparently it was quite invasive. I think he was put to sleep on the surgery table, but I haven't gotten specifics from my Better Half. He's understandably heartbroken to lose his boy. That said, passing on was what was best for Rascal. As hard as it is to do, I've always felt that the ability to take away their final suffering is a precious gift we can give our pets. I just wish C. and I could have been with him to say goodbye.

Thanks, all of you, for taking time to send love to a stranger's (even stranger) animal. It is more appreciated than you know.

If he doesn't yet know it, give your boyfriend a copy of the Rainbow Bridge story, and assure him that he will see Rascal again there some day, happy and whole. Rest in peace, Golden one.

Rest In Peace Rascal! If you happen to see another Golden who says her name is Honey, please say hello to her for me. She will be your friend, and introduce you to all of the other Golden's who have made the final trip over The Rainbow Bridge!

i just lost my golden. it was probably the hardest thing i ever had to experience in my entire life. she was also like the dog from 'UP' exept crazier. she had an unexpected tumor in her trachea that was cutting off her breathing. we had to put her down the day after we found out </3

Rest In Peace Rascal! If you happen to see another Golden who says her name is Honey, please say hello to her for me. She will be your friend, and introduce you to all of the other Golden's who have made the final trip over The Rainbow Bridge!

that almost made me cry :..(

RIP Rascal. There is a big goofy black lab playing with him right now. I know this because my dog was a nut and loved all other dogs. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'll pass on everybody's love and good wishes. C. says he could still feel Rascal around him yesterday, and it would be like him to go exploring instead of coming when he's called. :) All the same, he'll get a special farewell/crossing over candle on my altar this Halloween (and I'm happy to include anybody else's furry children lost this year when the time comes as well).

Speaking of the Rainbow Bridge, there's a variant that never fails to make me cry. I'm almost sad to think of the pack that may follow me when my day comes: http://www.samsmiles.org/rescbridge.html

Do not read that without a kleenex or a shirt sleeve, then go hug your rescue babies tight. :)

Back