For those of you who use collars on your females...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMSChins

Hendryx Chinchillas
I am having an issue with 3 girls in particular and their collars. All 3 of them have the same body type/face type and I am wondering if this is where the issue stems from. They are all quite large (>900 gms not pregnant) and blocky with very dense fur. All 3 have very large necks and broad heads with more of a snub type nose (we should all have this issue with all of our chins, I know). One of the 3 manages to pop her collar open and I have found her several times snuggled up in a cage with another female. Luckily other than a few hairs out of place when they decided to establish territory, no chins have been hurt. The other two somehow manage to slip the collar into their mouths - which to me is even more distressing. I have tried double collaring (but one manages to get caught). I have tried smashing the prongs with the one who pops hers open. I have tried the extra large 2 piece collars as well as the very large 3 piece collars. I put them on tight enough that I cannot slip them over their heads but obviously I am not as determined as these girls to follow their mate. I am afraid to put them on any tighter than I already do but all 3 have managed to give me mild chest pains on several occasions. I feel awful when I find the collar in the mouth and grateful when I see the one with another chin and unharmed...but one of these days I and a chin are not going to be so lucky. Does anyone have any advice?

I check my breeding females 3 times a day and it is amazing how much damage and stress that just having a collar in your mouth for a couple hours can do! I know that I should try to use the brass fasteners on the one who pops her open but honestly to me - it is almost a blessing that she can get out of it if the reason that she pops it is because she gets it in her mouth. I am just feeling really guilty right now as I nurse another chin back from the stress of having her collar in her mouth overnight.

If they are getting them in their mouth they are not tight enough. With those short thick necked animals you tend to think they are on tighter than they really are.

If they can get them in thier mouth then they arent tight enough. I know with my big girls they like to scrunch up their neck while im touching their collar so that I dont put it on so tight. I wait untill they stretch out to check if the collar is too tight.

I have checked them once on and the chin is relaxed. I can't even get the tip of my pinkie under the collar. You really think they should be even tighter than that?

I kept thinking my girls were relaxed to, but the ladies with the ultra thick necks can really "puff" up. I hold them by the base of the tail, and set them on a counter so that they try to get away from me which in turn makes them stretch out. The fact is, if they are getting them in their mouths they are not tight enough

I will try putting a regular collar on when I re-collar them. Pretty sure that last time I tried I couldn't get one around their necks. But will give it a go. Thanks.

I have better luck with the three piece collars on them big uns. I also put them on a counter but do not hold them by anything other than the collar once around their neck.

I would be careful with making them too tight though because I had one large female have her collar dig into her neck making the skin grow slightly around the collar. never seemed distressed by it but when I noticed it, there was a slight infection starting to develop under the embedded collar.
I removed it, cleaned the tissue and she was fine but her neck was floppy with cellulitus from the damage.

i stopped using them all together but know I will need to start again when I get more chins into breeding again.

They make me nervous but I know how necessary they are with the runs.

I agree with the above but wanted to add that I actually take small pliers and splay the prongs open like a flower blooming. I have not had one pop one off once I started using this technique.

I agree with the above but wanted to add that I actually take small pliers and splay the prongs open like a flower blooming. I have not had one pop one off once I started using this technique.

I've had to do the same except I use a small screw driver and wedge it in the rivet prongs to spread the prongs.

i also use a scream driver to spread the rivet. Although, i have one male who likes to help his girls get their collars off. i had to switch his girls from rivets to brads and haven't had a problem since.

I have a similar problem. I have a female wearing a standard collar who will get into the run. I either find her in the run or in a cage with another female. Her collar still around her neck. Luckily no harm was done to either female.
I don't like the idea of putting 2 collars on her. I am afraid she might hang herself while trying to get into the run. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm just curious.. What are the collars purpose? I'm not a breeder so I don't know much about collars although I hear them popping up in conversation on here once in a while. Just don't know what they're used for though

Latest posts

Back