food question...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meggles07

Crazy Chin Mom
I have gone through the forums and stumbled across someone saying not to use Kaytee food and I was just curous as to why... I just started giving it to my chin and want to stop right away if she shouldn't be eating it. The kind I use is the Kaytee Timothy Complete. It was what the guy at the petstore said he faid his chinchilla at home. Thanks!

Kaytee Timothy Complete is a rabbit pellet. Rabbits and Chinchillas require different nutrition needs in the diets. Someone correct this if this is wrong.
Some rabbit pellets are okay for chins, but not all are.

Most commonly used and better Chinchilla foods are Mazuri, Oxbow, Manna Pro, Traditional.
I would suggest finding one of these and switching to it.

I think Petsmart or Petco is carrying Oxbow now.

Kaytee Timothy Complete also comes in a chinchilla formula. I don't recommend Kaytee because of a lot of the "junk" foods that they sell. I'm not sure but I believe this particular formula has corn as one of the ingredients and oats close to the top of the list, which is not great. There are at least 2 better feeds at the pet shops with 1 being Oxbow.

I was under the impression that some of the premium rabbit pellet brands were more than acceptable for chins - Purina Rabbit Chow Show, Manna Pro SHO... is this incorrect?

I was under the impression that some of the premium rabbit pellet brands were more than acceptable for chins - Purina Rabbit Chow Show, Manna Pro SHO... is this incorrect?

Yes, those are acceptable also, but if you only have one chin, 50# is going to be a lot of chin food, but you can always donate the excess to a rabbit rescue.

Kaytee Timothy Complete also comes in a chinchilla formula. I don't recommend Kaytee because of a lot of the "junk" foods that they sell. I'm not sure but I believe this particular formula has corn as one of the ingredients and oats close to the top of the list, which is not great. There are at least 2 better feeds at the pet shops with 1 being Oxbow.

I know Petsmart sells Mazuri Chinchilla food. Its about $10 for I think a 2lb bag, which I used to swallow but now I found it for 17$ for 6lbs including shipping on ebay from some breeder (I want to says lone star Chinchillas but don't quote me on that, I know they're somewhere from Texas)

PetSmart sells both Muzuri and Oxbow. They are on the expensive side. If you would like to save money, you can order either one of those feeds, or one of the other recommended feeds from someone on this forum. There are quite a few people on here that sell the good stuff.

I personaly use one of the Manna Pro types. I get from tractor supply. They are about $8 for a 25lbs bag or 14~ for a 50lbs bag. For a while i was buying 50lbs for one or two chins because i didnt no they had 25lbs bags. A lot went to waste but even so, that price is still good. (Now i have 5 chins, so most of the 25lbs bag gets used)

Only downsides are, Tractor supply is the only place i no of that carrys it, and that store is a little bit far away. Not to bad tho i guess. With sizes liek that, its not like your going every weekend to get some.

Check your local pet store or purchase it from one of the users sites. You can find them in the classified section.

When I first got my chins I found a box of "Kaytee Nature's Benefits Chinchilla Daily Diet", I sorted out all the treats and 1/2 it with my otter co-op 14% rabbit feed, and gave them the extras on the side.

Now I have them fully on Oxbow and I think I'll stick with it.

Though I'm thinking about the switch too alderbrook chinchilla feed,
I'm a bad person for switching them around so much.

Latest posts

Back