Food help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLostLena

Hey guys
Recently brought my chin home from the vet from his check up from a previous surgery for his teeth.
The vet wants him to put on some more weight but unfortunately my chin only eats little bits, has anyone got any remedies or tips/ideas of what I can give him to make him more interested in his food (pellets)?
Im recently trying dousing his food with small amoints of herbs that are just for chinnies and it seems to be working but anything else I can do? Or any different food ideas I can give him?
Would be a great help!
Thanks x

Do you have access to alfalfa hay? What is the chins diagnosis as far as the dental condition?

I'm not too sure about that, I'll have a look into it though!
His back molars grow at a higher speed than necessary, so they back teeth grow abnormally leading to him having to get them cut back every 3 months

Alfalfa hay is a favorite for dental chins, it will help with weight and can help with the teeth, espeically if the chin is not a hay eater. Does he like hay? What kind do you have there?

Alfalfa in many other countries is called lucerne hay. I wonder if the more stemmy legume hays like alfalfa would wear the back teeth better than leafy grass hay.

Really? Well I'll definitely look into getting that then! He doesnt actually eat much hay for some reason. We use harvest medow hay, it has all the special stuff in it that they like etc
The other guys love it, but he just doesnt seem into hay

Back