Food and Bedding questions? Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valrociraptor

My boyfriend got my chinchilla from a lady who got in over her head and had too many chins to take care of. She's had the chins on fleece blankets as bedding with wood chips in a glass dish for a "litter pan"(I know they dont litter train but she does use it to pee in). Is this okay? I've done a little research and I have a book, but no where have I seen this suggested. I don't want to keep her on it if it's bad for her, but she is 4 years old and has never been on anything else.

Also, I do not know what kind of pellets she was feeding the chins, and she will not reply to my emails. I'm running low on food and I don't know what to do!

Lots of people use fleece liners in their cages and it's fine, as is the pan full of shavings, provided they are either kiln dried pine or aspen.

As far as the pellets, I would just get a good quality pellet and do a changeover. There are several threads that tell about good feeds. Take a look through the diet and nutrition section and you can check them out.

If the chin is using the dish as a bathroom, then congrats to you. That would be very helpfull. I am perosnaly not sure if glass is ok or not, as i have never tried doing this. Have to wait for another member on that part.

As tunes said, kiln dried pine, or aspin are good shavings choises. Just make sure you do not use ceder! That kind is not good for them.

Congrats on taking in a chinchilla! Im always happy to see peop,e taking in a chinchilla in need.

A glass potty dish is perfectly fine. They are heavy, so it is hard for a chin to move it around and they clean very easily.

Back