FN single unit or double unit. Which is better for one chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which cage would be best for one chinchilla....

• Total voters

bailey45121

Hello, I am new to chinchillas but I am learning alot thanks to this forum. I will be picking up our new bundle of joy a few days before Christmas. I am currently looking into which cage to purchase... I really like the Ferret Nation cages but wanted to know which cage would be best for one chinchilla. Either the Ferret Nation Single Unit or Double unit?

Both have plenty of room for a single chin. I have my single girl in a double unit. She seems to enjoy it and I love decorating it. :D I also don't feel bad if she does not come out for playtime more than a few times a week. The cage is big and I have a wheel in it. She has plenty of running room.

i just picked up my chinchilla on monday night and she is in a double unit. and seems to really like it cause it's so much room to run around in

personally i think if you can give them more room you should but the single could be fine to

I personally like bigger. Then I can spoil my chin more with all kinds of shelves for her to hop on to, and plenty of room for hammocks and everything else.

i liked the double when i just had one because i had upstairs food+sleep and downstairs being fairly empty only toilet stairs on the wall to go downstairs and water bottle

the empty room is for him to bounce and excercise =)

my dad constantly told me to not put so many things, because everything i put in there would be cute only to me T_T and clutter to meimei
thus i left one kinda empty...

ooo Vcchinchilla... I love the idea of them having the room for exercise. My cage seems so cluttered!

I would get a double.

I have to doubles. Both have had single chin in them, and multiple.
The good thing about a double aside from more room for your chin of course, Is you can alway scale it down to one floor if you feel the need has arisen. Generaly~ its alwyas good to have a little extra good things for them. Im sure the chin would lvoe the extra room. I no mine did.

And later on if you deside to decorate, youll want the extra room any way lol.

While a single is fine for a single chin, I agree that having more room is always better. I have 6 142s and wouldn't trade them. Some have singles, some couples and one has triplets in them. Three is about the limit for me in one double cage.

I don't have a FN but from what I've seen, it seems like it is nice to have the double. As people have said before, if gives you room to have one be a sort of food/sleep area and then another area for play. I also recommend the double if you're planning on getting a wheel since they take up so much room!

I would only get the single if you really don't want to buy the double. It's cheaper buying a double than buying a single and an add on later. Either one will be suitable for your chin, but just remember if you think you'd want to have your chin in a bigger cage I would go all in now as opposed to down the line. If not, that's perfectly fine as well.

By the way--I have a single FN as a temp cage/the cage Chloe will probably move into once the one I made inevitably falls apart in the future.

Thank you all for your posts. You have given me great advise. I am now the proud owner of a FN 142 Double Unit. I found it on KennelVet.com for $235.08 including tax and shipping.

Latest posts

Back