FN newbie questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

May

Greetings everyone!
I'm a new member and a little shy so my apologies if I'm repeating common questions.

I have two rescue chins who are currently housed separately in the fiesty ferret cages. I purchased this particular style at the time because I had won a 3 year supply of carefresh (they delivered it all at once on a freight truck!) and the female chin decided she enjoyed snacking on it more than potty-ing on it.
So the wirebottom style was a temporary solution that unfortunately went on a little longer that I have wanted. But now that I'm down to the last bag I want to change that.

She came from a home whom bought her for small children whom were innocently ill informed on how to handle her. They dropped her several times and as generally mishandled. I don't blame the family but sadly now she is terrified to leave the safety of her cage. She is otherwise well adjusted, but because she doesn't do well in "outside play" time I wanted to place her in a combined set of ferret nation cages (two put together with the sides taken off) so she has some running room. I try to keep her well entertained but her favorite activity is disassembly and destruction.

So I had a few newbie questions about trying to go through with this plan, if someone would be share their experience with me.

1) Is there a good litter box material to use that she won't eat or will not be worrisome if she still did?

2) Is it possible to double up the newly designed FN/CN cages with the tooless assembly?

3) Is there any sites that show exactly how the fleece liners slip cover over the stock pans? I have no experience with this cage and was a little confused. Also, what's the best way to secure them that destructive chins won't be able to disturb?

4) My boyfriend is really turned off by the idea of washing urine soaked fabric in the same place our clothes go in (we don't have a washing sink) has anyone had any issues with this? He's eager to find the least odor producing cage set up possible as he couldn't ever stand the smell carefresh had despite us changing it every 3 days.

Thanks for reading!

1. Many users here use fleece cage liners. I sewed my own, but many people sell them custom for FN cages. You just vacuum them and wash them once a week (that number will vary with the chinchilla, though). Or KD pine shavings.
2. If you are able to take off the side panel and zip tie the two cages together, then you'll be fine. I have heard of people doing in successfully, but I have the older FN models.
3. Different people secure their liners diffently. I've heard Velcro, elastic on the inside, zippers, you name it. Mine slip on like a pillowcase, and I fold the open end underneath the pan. Some people don't even sew them; they just take a yard or two of fabric, lay it on the pan and fold it under.
4. When in doubt, you can hand wash them in the bathtub or shower and hang them to dry. To rediuce scent, some liners are made with an absorbent middle layer to reduce smell in the cage. As for cross contamination with clothes, it's not something I've had an issue with.

I hope some of that helps. Welcome to the community.

As far as concerns about chin wash in the same wash as human wash. I do it all the time,along with cat/dog/guinea pig/donkey. I just wash human loads first.Animal loads last and a final empty wash with Clorox/bleach or even Lysol so that the washer is ready for the next time I wash people cloths.

Back