FN Cage with Rust??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crys12065

I found a FN142 cage on CL for $125 but they said it has very little rust but not in the area where it will bother an animal. Not sure what that means but is it worth it for $125 depending on where the rust is? Is there a way to get the rust off or cover it up?

Just wondering what your thoughts were before I drove out to see it.

Thanks!

My FN had rust when I picked it up. I took it apart and let each piece sit in my tub with water and vinegar. Then I scrubbed it to death with a brilla pad, and left it in the sun to dry. If it's close enough to you take a drive and see just how bad it is. Good Luck!

Thank you! She emailed me back and said it was on the outside around the screws. It is only 30 minutes away so I will drive out. $125 is a good price right? I don't know what they go for used.
Thanks!

The worst part is I just bought a bunch of fleece and cut it into squares for the cage she has now, lol
I did not have the money to buy more liners premade so I was trying to be cheap about it. Maybe I can make the fleece fit by using more than one piece on each level.

I would say $125 is a good price if it is pristine condition (other than minimal rust mentioned?). But if you get there and its in worse condition I would talk them down. And if it is covered in filth, I would decline it. The FN are a pain in the u-know-what to scrub caked on filth off of.

I paid $120 for my used FN, Since they sell new for $250 I say that's a good buy. You can recycle the fleece you have just like you mentioned :)

Unfortunately FN trays are plastic. So you're going to want to save up for metal pans and get those as soon as you can. Here's the website http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx Glad Delilah's on her way to a great new cage!

thanks everyone! I am going to look at and hopefully pick it up tonight at 6:30. She said they had Guinea pigs in the cage.
I hope it is in good shape, I am excited for Delilah I think she really needs the extra room! She is very active.

I agree, I think that's a great price! I paid $120 for my used CN and I think it sells for $250 new also. I bought the Bass pans and I think it was about $70 with shipping.

I hope it turns out to be what you are looking for! Post pics :)

UGGHHH! I am so annoyed right now. I drove 40 minutes one way to see this cage and was told it had VERY LITTLE rust on it and only around where the screws are.
I specifically asked about Rust for this reason.
There was rust all over the cage! The top was all rusted and bowed in like something heavy had been sitting on it. There was rust everywhere on the cage and it was disgusting!
Did she think I was blind and would not notice she lied? I would not even take the cage for free, it was that bad!
Not to mention I borrowed the work van for this and spent $25 in gas to go there! She owes me money at this point!

Then she sends me an email saying she is sorry it was not the cage I was looking for and wishes me luck in my search. What a loon!!!!!!!!

Here I was so happy for you that you found a cage, Crys. Sorry it turned out to not be a good one.

welcome to craigs list! home of liars and the insane! lol

keep scouring, something will come up. also check freecycle and garage sales. you never know what you will find.

i did get a couple FN's off of CL. but i asked for pictures, especially when driving far.
and i agree, i wouldnt pay more than 125 for a 142 that would be my max.

as for the liners. i dont use the premade or sewn ones. i buy huges amounts of fleece. fold in half and cut to fit my FN. ok there is more measuring involved but you get the idea. i also use smaller pieces that i fold and put in certain areas of certain cages cause a few of my little chinnies like to pee in a certain spot. it really helps with the clean up because i can change the little piece out every night or every other without doing a full change. typcially the pieces i use are just leftovers from cutting my liners.

i always wait until Joann's fabric has a great sale or i check at walmart when they have clearance. its best to buy the thicker stuff. it really is more absorbant. some of the cheap walmart fleece is waaaayyy too thin and you end of doing more work.

There were pics posted but they were not close ups. That is why I asked about the rust before I drove out there. Oh well, I will keep searching.

Latest posts

Back