FN Cage Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aridan

Hi everyone,

I'm slowly making preparations for adding a chin to our household. I was lucky enough to find a used FN142 cage locally, so I couldn't pass that up. My question now is at what age is this cage safe for a chin? I do not yet know what chin we'll be getting or how old it will be, so I need to take that into consideration for my preparations. Some have said chins should be more than 200 grams, other say more than 300 grams, not sure if you can tell me an approximate age that they hit that weight.

Also, I know there are a lot of FN fans on this forum, but I have also read opinions that some don't feel that the bar spacing is safe for chins at all. It's hard for me to believe the cage can be that unsafe when so many chin lovers here use it. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Lastly, I know that some of the fleece liners have grommets for attaching to the cage to keep it in place. However, if getting a Bass pan, can you still use those grommets, or do you just have to lay the fleece flat in the bottom?

Thank you all for your patience with my questions and sharing your knowledge!

Chins are just like people and reach different weights at different ages. I had a 12 week old that was 300g+ and she went into the FN with no problems.
The only thing I have heard is that really YOUNG kits (like under 10 weeks) may be able to fit through the bars. You are most likely going to get one at least older than that.
Just use your best judgement when you find your chin. You can always attach some hardware cloth to the outside temporarily if necessary.

I have the Bass pans and I just lay my liners down in them. The hutch and toy box and chin-chillers all help to keep it weighted down and in place.

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of chin ownership!!

Thanks for the information, Kara. I love watching your videos and have read through your site, and it's been very helpful!

If you really worry about this, just cover the cage with a decent mesh wire to be safe. I kept my wire on it till they were above 250

I would recommend using hardware cloth until you know your little one cannot escape. I have two Ferret Nation 182 Cages, one of them is just how it came. Another one I keep the younger chins in, I have it set up with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth cut to each one of the panels, to prevent any escape attempts (just in case).

Once the chins grow big enough, I safely remove the hardware cloth until I need it again.

Uses about 20' of the 24' x 2' roll I bought at Menards for $16. It just takes some time to cut all of the pieces perfectly.

Luckily no one has escaped yet!

Thank you for the additional information, especially about where to get the cloth and how much it costs.

I take it that there isn't really an issue with the adult chins in these types of cages. I only ask because I did read a site that considered FNs as unsuitable for even adult chins because of the bar spacing. I've been a bit skeptical since I see how many of you love these cages, and it seems to me if they were a danger, I'd be seeing more concerns expressed on the forum.

Thanks again!

and be sure to attach it on the inside or -if on the outside-make sure it fits tight around the cage so they can't get stuck between the wire and the bars!

I have several of those cages. I pull my kits when they go over 200 grams and I have never had a problem with one pushing through the wires.

Back