FN and Kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marson2

I brought home my 2 chins 2 weeks ago. They are soo adorable! I was lucky enough to get a double FN on sale over Christmas and then found a third level on Craigslist that was too cheap to pass up.

They are housed right now in the middle unit to get them used to the cage and because they are young. One of my kits was the runt of triplets and took longer to wean so she is still small. Isabel is now 12 weeks and weighs 225g. Her sister Mabel is 17 weeks and weighs 395g. I added smaller wire to the middle unit because I was afraid that Isabel being so small would escape. I look at them and think they are ok but I know looks are deceiving when it comes to a chins true size.

My question is at what weight do you recommend I take the wire off and when do you think it is ok for them to venture into the other units. (The other units do not have the extra wire to keep them in.) All advice is WELCOME!

they are incredibly deceiving in this area. Just when you think there is no way they can do it now, they go and prove you wrong. It gets worse with the fact that as they actually do get to big, they will continue to try anyway and can get stuck in there. Mine got her neck stuck that way before and started to panic. Fortunately i was there to help her otherwise that could have ended badly.

I dont remember there weights when they stopped fitting, but i know it was at least a few months.

That's what I was afraid of. Mabel who is bigger I don't think can get out. It's the little one I'm worried about. I was thinking about letting them play in the lower level a little at a time while I watch them until Isabel gets bigger. It just makes me nervous.

I'm not sure on weight, but by the time they are 6 months for sure they will both be big enough, if you are willing to wait that long. Most chins are big enough around 4 months, though some take longer to grow. Being in just one unit isn't going to hurt them any, in fact it may save them from harm since they can be clumsy as they grow. By 6 months they are nearing full grown and are a bit more coordinated by then.

If your concerned about them attempting to fit through then definitely put something up on the inside to prevent it. Much better to have it up longer then necessary and less.

If your concerned about them attempting to fit through then definitely put something up on the inside to prevent it. Much better to have it up longer then necessary and less.
I'm not sure on weight, but by the time they are 6 months for sure they will both be big enough, if you are willing to wait that long. Most chins are big enough around 4 months, though some take longer to grow. Being in just one unit isn't going to hurt them any, in fact it may save them from harm since they can be clumsy as they grow. By 6 months they are nearing full grown and are a bit more coordinated by then.

I do have smaller wire added to the middle unit where they are now. I let them play in the lower unit that doesn't have the added wire tonight while I cleaned their cage. They jumped around and had a blast. You were correct though the older one, Mabel, was very curious and was trying to bite the wire. When she saw she couldn't get out she moved on to some sticks. lol

I appreciate all the advice and think I'll just use the other units as a play area until they are bigger and not so clumsy. I know it will be awhile before I let them use all 3 levels. It's hard being patient though. :)

Latest posts

Back