FN 142 without middle section?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie'sMum

Nutz over Chins
I was going to post this in the FN Club, but figured i would be best here. I was looking at all the FN set ups, trying to come up with how I will gather my items for mine, when I purchase it, and I really like the vertical setup of those without the center section, so Millie can just hop all the way up in stead of having two distinct levels. How did/could you make the FN142/143 without the plastic and metal separations??? I believe this would benefit Millie in the long run, bc she really hates her single level cage now and yanks on the bars! I am so afraid she is going to break her teeth!!! Thank you!

When assembling the FN cage, you just leave out the middle wire section. Be sure to have a hammock or something stretched across the middle to catch any falls.

I have heard that it is hard to assemble and disassemble. the FN142 with the middle part in is still good for chins. There is a little hole in the back corner for them to hop up to the top level and back down again. My chin loves it. :)

I personally think that it is safer to have the middle section in case of a fall.

And then if we have issues can I reassemble the wire back in? Just wondering how easy it is to disassemble to change it up?

Yes, it's actually not hard at all. I didn't have to disassemble anything to get the middle back in. Just unscrew some of the screws in the cage so you can loosen it up and squeeze the wire in. It's hard to explain but it will make more sense once you assemble the cage.

I had 2 FN cages with no middle level in for a couple years without any problems. Not to say someone else won't experience an accident, but my chins learned the layout of their cage very quickly. Having a hammock stretched across the middle of the cage makes it much safer. No different than a fully open QC Mansion- you just have to take precautions to make sure falls are able to be caught.

Thats great, thank you so much for all the help. Now all I need to decide if it would be cost effective to just buy all the fleece items an d wood shelving or do it myself: but I don't have any tools or a sewing machine :banghead:

I had a friend make my shelves for me, and I purchased my liners and fleece stuff from www.jenscustomcrafts.com. SHE IS AWESOME!!!

Thats great, thank you so much for all the help. Now all I need to decide if it would be cost effective to just buy all the fleece items an d wood shelving or do it myself: but I don't have any tools or a sewing machine :banghead:

For wood shelves, all you really need is a drill. I buy my wood from Lowe's and they will cut it to whatever size I want. All I have to do is put in the bolts and I'm done. I've also used cup hooks which don't require any tools..you just screw them in. You do have to do a little rigging to get them to work with a FN cage, though.

Fleece liners- I have made my own and also bought them. I suggest either Alli713 or threewingedfury for liners..I have bought from both of them and they are good quality liners. They are both active contributing members on this forum as well, and I like supporting people who are active here. I don't have a sewing machine either so I hand sewed a couple..they lasted for awhile but ended up falling apart after so many washes. The hand sewing also took hours. I also have used a hand held sewer and those liners are still holding up pretty well. I think the sewer was around $17 at Walmart. I'm asking for a sewing machine for Christmas. ;)

Back